Alk climbed/precipitation in dosing container

TDTA1181

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 25, 2013
Messages
209
Reaction score
35
Location
Starkville, MS
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had alkanity spike pretty high recently in my tank. I'm thinking maybe I didn't rinse my dosing container the last time I added new soda ash/calcium chloride? There was a good amount of residue in the btm of both containers and in both dosing tubes. I test Alk usually every other day and try to keep it in the 8.3-8.6 dKh range. I have also been changing bulbs out the past couple wks but only 1 bulb/wk. It climbed all the way up to 12.15 per Hanna & was getting somewhere close to that w/ Salifert test also when I took the soda ash offline. I mixed a new calcium chloride batch and have left it @ 130ml/day, this is keeping my calcium readings 390-410 depending on what time of day I'm doing my test & letting the Alk fall bk inline to my normal parameters. In the course of all of this, I have also been doing a 5 gal water change each day using HW Reefers mix thinking that should help Alk/Cal balance bk evenly, I have around 110-115 liquid gallons of water in my system. I usually test every evening an hr after the final dose of calcium. So it got as high as 12.15 & tonight I measured 9.16(H) 8.75(S) if my math is right my daily consumption should be some where around .748/day. My question is, according to BRS calculator that's almost 60ml of buffer per day, if I lower my calcium chloride to 60 ml/day won't my calcium level drop?

Any feed bk will be greatly appreciated!
 
When calcium is too low and needs a boost, or alk is too high and needs to drop, don't use equal parts dosing.

Boost calcium up with a one time correction, or keep dosing it and just stop the alk until it declines to where you want it.
 
Then when I get it there I can match my Cal dosage to Alk? @ 60ml/day
It could get to a very close even dose.
You could have to boost for awhile until your ions balance out.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 26 18.7%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 47 33.8%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 14.4%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new