Alk Dosing Calculator with Sodium Hydroxide?

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there an online calculator that allows you to choose Randy’s latest alk formula using sodium hydroxide? I see the commonly used calcs and it has Randy’s recipe 1 and 2 but I’m thinking those are the older recipes.
Thanks.

dank reefer

IG: dankreefer_IG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there an online calculator that allows you to choose Randy’s latest alk formula using sodium hydroxide? I see the commonly used calcs and it has Randy’s recipe 1 and 2 but I’m thinking those are the older recipes.
Thanks.
You might want to ask BRS and see if there calculator will work as there product is Randy's recipe branded as BRS.

@Randy Holmes-Farley - Please correct me if I am wrong.

OP
OP
JGT

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS calc is based on randys original recipe 1(soda ash) and recipe 2(sodium bicarbonate) (what their 2 part is based off of).
Yes, that is what I thought. Don’t think anyone has updated their calcs with the sodium hydroxide formula.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could email Jose Dieck and see if he could add that to his calculator

Mjl714

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The potency is identical to my sodium carbonate recipe, so calculators that use it will work for hydroxide.
Since the potency is the same, would it also be ok to transition from brs soda ash to your sodium hydroxide formula by refilling my dosing tank with sodium hydroxide formula, while some soda ash solution exists?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since the potency is the same, would it also be ok to transition from brs soda ash to your sodium hydroxide formula by refilling my dosing tank with sodium hydroxide formula, while some soda ash solution exists?

Yes, but you may want to dose more slowly due to the larger pH increase.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 35 60.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 15 25.9%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 8.6%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back