Alk drop in mixing bucket

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Questions. I mix up roughly 16-18 gallon buckets of rodi each time. I mix 50/50 salinity and reef crystals. My mag is around 1400 and calcium about 430 with red sea, ALK about 8.8 with Hanna checker. If I don't get to my water change that day or early the next my ALK drops. After 3 days of circulating my heated water is showing 5.6 alk with 2 separate tests.

I mix slowly half cup at a time. Taking 30 seconds or more per half cup and no more than 4-5 half cups at a time. Then wait for it to clear and repeat until I hit 1.025. Then I heat with 2 100 watt heaters, takes about 6 hours. Both buckets were thoroughly rolled and tipped before use and occasionally since opening.

This problem has occured both with straight salinity and straight reef crystals and with a 50/50 mix.

Am I mixing wrong? BRS says salt parameters don't drop when continually mixed/heated according to their video. My buckets get large amounts of crusty stuff that has to be dissolved with vinegar, same with pumps and heaters turn white.

Thinking of switching to HW reef salt as I've heard it's clean and has parameters I'm looking for.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Questions. I mix up roughly 16-18 gallon buckets of rodi each time. I mix 50/50 salinity and reef crystals. My mag is around 1400 and calcium about 430 with red sea, ALK about 8.8 with Hanna checker. If I don't get to my water change that day or early the next my ALK drops. After 3 days of circulating my heated water is showing 5.6 alk with 2 separate tests.

I mix slowly half cup at a time. Taking 30 seconds or more per half cup and no more than 4-5 half cups at a time. Then wait for it to clear and repeat until I hit 1.025. Then I heat with 2 100 watt heaters, takes about 6 hours. Both buckets were thoroughly rolled and tipped before use and occasionally since opening.

This problem has occured both with straight salinity and straight reef crystals and with a 50/50 mix.

Am I mixing wrong? BRS says salt parameters don't drop when continually mixed/heated according to their video. My buckets get large amounts of crusty stuff that has to be dissolved with vinegar, same with pumps and heaters turn white.

Thinking of switching to HW reef salt as I've heard it's clean and has parameters I'm looking for.

I use IO Reef Crystals right now too. I’ve noticed it will precipitate if the heat is too high. After about 80-82 degrees I notice it. If I put a lid on my brute can it dives up the heat. Maybe your 100w heaters are too much for that bucket volume. Maybe get 50w heaters. My suggestion would be to mix w/o heat or cut the heat off after mixing. How does the waters surface look?

OP
OP
J

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mix cold. I tried 2 50 watt eheim and they only bring my water to about 70-72 in about 12+ hours. That's why I use a 100 and 50 watt. Temp only gets to 77-78 in bucket with lid. I mix in garage, bucket on floor.

How do I heat right before use? With 150 watts of heat it still takes almost 8 hours to bring to temp?

Please explain the BRS investigate video showing their keeping mixed/heated salt water not causing issues? They tested a whole bunch of salt brands.

So I mix cold to my desired salinity. If I can't get to it within the 8+ hours it takes to heat the water I turn off the pump too? So mix say Friday night, heat before bed, do change in am when water finally reached temp? Or do I add 300 watts of heater to bucket to heat within a few hours?

Thanks

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mix cold. I tried 2 50 watt eheim and they only bring my water to about 70-72 in about 12+ hours. That's why I use a 100 and 50 watt. Temp only gets to 77-78 in bucket with lid. I mix in garage, bucket on floor.

How do I heat right before use? With 150 watts of heat it still takes almost 8 hours to bring to temp?

Please explain the BRS investigate video showing their keeping mixed/heated salt water not causing issues? They tested a whole bunch of salt brands.

So I mix cold to my desired salinity. If I can't get to it within the 8+ hours it takes to heat the water I turn off the pump too? So mix say Friday night, heat before bed, do change in am when water finally reached temp? Or do I add 300 watts of heater to bucket to heat within a few hours?

Thanks

How big are these buckets? If you’re up north with 20 degree temps in the garage, it could take a while. 100w heaters in 5-10 gallon should be enough in normal temps. 100w should work up to about 40/G. It’s gonna heat slow if you max out the volume of course.

If it’s not fast enough use larger heaters and cut them off at target temp. Keep the heaters and pump off after mixing with IORC.

OP
OP
J

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mix in a 20 gallon bucket with between 15 and 18 gallons in it. My garage is maybe 40 to 50 degrees. I live in northern Idaho

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks

the tendency to precipitate depends on many factors, especially the pH which is driven by your home air CO2 level. Sometimes precipitation is important, and sometimes not.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you recommend exposing to air or keep saltwater in closed container / Brute.?

I close it to keep crap out, but not to prevent proper aeration when first mixing.

OP
OP
J

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I leave several windows partially open in my house, all year. I leave my garage, where I store my water and mix salt, up about 4-6" unless it's snowing or below freezing. I'm not sure what my garage co2 is, my CAP controller is in another state. I do overwinter a dozen or so plants in my garage under a 600 watt sodium though.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I leave several windows partially open in my house, all year. I leave my garage, where I store my water and mix salt, up about 4-6" unless it's snowing or below freezing. I'm not sure what my garage co2 is, my CAP controller is in another state. I do overwinter a dozen or so plants in my garage under a 600 watt sodium though.

outside air will be worse for precipitation than inside air.

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just one person's experience, but I use IO and IORC blend in a similar fashion... stirred and heated for a few days in a drafty basement, then left to sit cold before a brief warm up and stir before water change. Have had no issues. Alk measures high 9's.

Any chance you're getting some sort of interaction between your two salt brands? Does either lose alk as dramatically if used on its own?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back