Alk dropping daily, use 2 part or kalk?

Reffetsevla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have an IM 20g Fusion AIO, been up a bit over 5 months now. I'm experiencing Alk swings from about 9.5 to 8.3 daily, varies depending on the day. The consumption doesn't really bother me, I keep a bunch of SPS so I expect a fair amount of usage. What I'm trying to establish is whether I should get a doser to try and help balance those swings or if using Kalk with the ATO is a more stable method? It's looking like about 4ml of the Seachem Fusion 2 is what I'm having to do daily for reference. Not sure if kalk would overshoot that or not.

I've used both in the past but never really got either dialed in, trying to do better this time around.

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
BRS soda ash is easier than Kalkwasser . I use the calculator on BRS and it’s simple until my calcium reactor is online again

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used limewater (kalkwasser) in my ATO for 20 years and it worked fine for me, but if you are after stability, using whatever method (limewater or a two part) on a dosing pump that you control the flow rates and times is a better bet.

4 mL of Seachem reef fusion is matched by about 450 mL of saturated limewater so if you currently evaporate at least that much, you will be able to use it for your current setup.

OP
OP
R

Reffetsevla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used limewater (kalkwasser) in my ATO for 20 years and it worked fine for me, but if you are after stability, using whatever method (limewater or a two part) on a dosing pump that you control the flow rates and times is a better bet.

4 mL of Seachem reef fusion is matched by about 450 mL of saturated limewater so if you currently evaporate at least that much, you will be able to use it for your current setup.
I will have to figure out how much it evaps a day, something I've not actually calculated before. Kind of just set an ATO from the beginning so never measured anything lol Thanks!

My ATO kicks on a number of times a day, it's the Tunze Nano, only dose maybe 25-50ml at a time. Think I could just saturate the ATO water? Is there a specific measurement to do that or is it add a bunch and the excess will settle at the bottom, then just stir it occasionally with the ATO off for a bit after. That's vaguely how I recall doing it before, but I am not sure that was ever the correct way.

OP
OP
R

Reffetsevla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not realize that there was an all in one option. Lord I'm getting old. Been out of this a minute lol Thanks!

In the sticks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use brs 2 part super easy and inexpensive! Never have tried kalk always have been nervous I’ve heard there is more room for error. But I have been thinking about using lately for the ph benefits

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use brs 2 part super easy and inexpensive! Never have tried kalk always have been nervous I’ve heard there is more room for error. But I have been thinking about using lately for the ph benefits
It is the ban wagon going around these days, some great threads on it too! I haven't gotten comfortable enough with handling caustic chemicals yet to try it , so I am using 2 part also :)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back