Alk drops. Have dosing question

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My alk keeps dropping. Today from 8.5 to 8.2. (see note below) I used to have it pretty consistent at 8.6-8.8. What might be happening is precipitation. I have noticed this in the return area where I dose. I dose over 24 hrs. I dose ca and alk 30 min apart.

Would it work to dose these 2 12 hrs apart. Dose ca say 8am to 7 pm, and then alk 8 pm to 7 am. Giving an hour between. Would this leave both hitting too low in the 12 hrs of no dosing? And affect corals? I can dose the mg and nopox as normal. Actually going to change nopox also to 12 hrs so dosing with lights on. Or would it be better to move the alk line to the skimmer area right before the return area?

I know 8.2 is acceptable. But I worry that it keeps dropping and not stabilizing and it seems like a lot for it to not stabilize.
Tank info: 225 water volume (after sand and rock) Tank is 8 month old upgrade. All corals doing great--lots of new growth

Dosing: Red Sea 4 head doser
alk 52ml
CA 24ml
Mg 48 ml

Okay, just noticed that the doser was off for the alk-I forgot to change amt left in container so the app thought it was out, but the problem/possible solution still stands. In fact, it has been 30 min since CA dosed and the alk going in has precipitated. Turned it off and will turn it back on in an hour (it is trying to catch up and that is too much to dose at once)

Any suggestions welcome.
Night shot no lights
20220615_211303.jpg

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose in the overflow pipe chamber. I'm not sure if this is the best location, but there's a lot of water movement there. I found I was getting too much buildup dosing directly into the return pump chamber.
Yeah, I also have to scrape with a razor and I notice build up on pumps so that might not be best place. The sock or media don't absorb the liquids? I have all my carbon, reactor and media in that area.

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose in the overflow pipe chamber. I'm not sure if this is the best location, but there's a lot of water movement there. I found I was getting too much buildup dosing directly into the return pump chamber.
What is the opinion of dosing the 2 12 hrs apart. Only dosing ca in morning/afternoon, alk afternon/night

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I also have to scrape with a razor and I notice build up on pumps so that might not be best place. The sock or media don't absorb the liquids? I have all my carbon, reactor and media in that area.
That's also why I switched. Nope - I dose about 120ml of alkalinity and 24ml of calcium and magnesium every day - it passes right through. I also have all my media in the chamber immediately following the filter socks - so i'm in the same boat, so to speak.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the opinion of dosing the 2 12 hrs apart. Only dosing ca in morning/afternoon, alk afternon/night
I run a DOS which allows me to stagger the dosing in 2-hour intervals for each, but I think you'll be fine dosing both at the same time since you have plenty of water movement.

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a DOS which allows me to stagger the dosing in 2-hour intervals for each, but I think you'll be fine dosing both at the same time since you have plenty of water movement.
Okay, I'll try moving my lines. Hope I hav eenough slack lol's

HBtank

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What rate in ml/min is it pumping at while actively dosing? This being 1 ml/min or less in high flow areas was important for me, particularly with increasingly saturated levels or when at higher pH.

Assuming this is using a form of Randy’s 2-part dosing solutions, why deviate from a 1:1 ratio for ALK:CA (and about ~.16 Mg)?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What rate in ml/min is it pumping at while actively dosing? This being 1 ml/min or less in high flow areas was important for me, particularly with increasingly saturated levels or when at higher pH.

Assuming this is using a form of Randy’s 2-part dosing solutions, why deviate from a 1:1 ratio for ALK:CA (and about ~.16 Mg)?
I have no idea. Each is set to dose once per hour, 24 hrs a day, so it would be the dosage divided by 24. I have no control on how fast or slow it doses but it seems pretty fast and very short amt of time. like seconds to dose each amt

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have a spare DOS if I can find a place to hook up! That will be an option perhaps in future

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, if they were only half the size!
exactly. I'm adding another red sea doser and 4 Voss 800 ml bottles and 4 Voss 375 ml bottles to the slide out panel. Not sure I can put the DOS there. It might have to go outside of stand!

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
exactly. I'm adding another red sea doser and 4 Voss 800 ml bottles and 4 Voss 375 ml bottles to the slide out panel. Not sure I can put the DOS there. It might have to go outside of stand!
You're going to need another stand for your stand soon! :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yah! I ran out of room under the tank a long time ago . Next house needs a room behind the tank to hook everything thing up !

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back