Alk keeps dropping

NEFFx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying to get some input on this alk decrease.
My trident has been pretty stable. Accurate mostly and I calibrate at least once every 2 months if not more.

Currently running.
240g SPS 1 year old about 70 corals mostly smaller frags and 8 softball colony sized.
I dose 6.5L a day of Kalk

my vertex c6d calcium reactor runs at 6.5ph. I was running 45ml/min on kamoer to Lee around 9dkh and when I increased to 55 ml/min the alk would increase over the days so figure that was pretty stable at 45ml/min.

I run CO2 media in my skimmer but the ph spike lasts a day and quickly levels out to roughly the same maybe 0.1 higher. I even added another two little fishes cylinder to double the capacity but didn’t do much. I recently replaced the media and I think this has had an impact on the intake but just seems like way more than expected.

That said, my alk has been steadily dropping and I keep increasing the effluent rate on the calcium reactor over the week and I’m over 100ml/min now. It’s still going down.
I just worry about making such large changes with my effluent.

I’ve tested the kh with Hanna (10 to 9.3 in 48 hrs) when running 90ml/min seemed high. Trident trend attached I think that’s 7 days. Reefbot Red Sea usually more conservative but was down to 7 and it’s usually about 1dkh under trident and usually measure 8.5 dkh. So tests seem accurate.
I’m not sure the best way to go about it. Is the coral just taking off? Seems too good to be true.

AED0B413-EBBD-4E70-94BD-E56CE0AD591F.jpeg 6EB5E289-2B38-4225-AA4C-06753AA22FAC.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
NEFFx

NEFFx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t measured the effluent. I can try using the Hanna, not sure if it goes up that high? I’ll check and compare to the BRS charts. Essentially if that is the problem I would need a larger chamber reactor?

OP
OP
NEFFx

NEFFx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also I use a Milwaukee controller on a carbon doser. It was calibrated two months ago with 4 and 10.

OP
OP
NEFFx

NEFFx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ll be home tonight to check the dkh of the effluent.
I was thinking maybe the Kalk is no longer saturated. It’s approaching a month.

Two questions.
for Kalk. I used your recommended calculator based on another thread and results below show that my 6.5l a day increases dkh 0.7 and calcium 5ppm per day. Might be the issue.
I use 2 cups of Kalk powder per 50g (month dosing 6.5l). How much Kalk powder can I use in my Kalk reactor to reduce maintenance and fluctuations like this assuming this is the problem ? I think it’s about 1.5g.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 27 81.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.1%
Back