ALK over 16! Best way to lower it please!

Todd Kellley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So huge rookie mistake, with fish only tanks I never really worried about my alkalinity. Never had an issue so for some reason with my reef tank my brain was thinking PH and Alk were the same thing. Still trying to get my nems to where they were a light finally went off in my head and I bought an ALK test from the LFS. A good one too, not something from the budget shelf. My ALK tested over 16! I tested it 3 times in a row to make sure I was not seeing things or using the wrong amount of solution. In using good old google all I could find as the "best advice" was add fresh RO or distilled water. Everything seems to be ok to the human eye, but it probably explains why my bubble tips are not bubbling or opening up as much as they used to and the new LTA I put in the tank over the weekend is acting stressed. My carpet and other LTA seem to be thriving so not sure how fast I can safely lower it?

Hopefully someone can shine some light on this for me, please!

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and what Alk test are you using that isn't from the "budget shelf?"

OP
OP
T

Todd Kellley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and what Alk test are you using that isn't from the "budget shelf?"
Red Sea..... if you do not say that you get everyone asking "are you using a quality test kit?" I see that is still going to get questioned though. Or is that not considered a reliable test kit for ALK?

OP
OP
T

Todd Kellley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's start here...
What are you dosing to get your alk that high?
Nothing! Unless there is something in the essential elements mix I am using that can cause this, but I only add 10 mg every 2 weeks and it is a 90 gallon tank. The instructions recommend 5 mg per 30 gallons. I tend to dose everything on the light side based on directions and work my way up. I have a bottle of Reefbuilder buffer but have not even cracked the cap on it.

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea..... if you do not say that you get everyone asking "are you using a quality test kit?" I see that is still going to get questioned though. Or is that not considered a reliable test kit for ALK?
im not sure, my go to is Salifert.

Well you can use things like muriatic acid or Seachem acid buffer to lower alk in your tank, but in doing so, you produce CO2 in your tank, which will decrease your pH, so you have that problem to deal with. Probably NOT the best way to do this. I think the preferred method is to do water changes with water lower in alk, so this is where you'd apply the muriatic acid or Seachem acid buffer; You maintain the correct salinity while providing water with lower alk.

OP
OP
T

Todd Kellley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing! Unless there is something in the essential elements mix I am using that can cause this, but I only add 10 mg every 2 weeks and it is a 90 gallon tank. The instructions recommend 5 mg per 30 gallons. I tend to dose everything on the light side based on directions and work my way up. I have a bottle of Reefbuilder buffer but have not even cracked the cap on it.
I was not yelling with the "nothing" sorry if it looked that way. Just really confused because I can not think of anything I have added that would raise my Alk so high. I was using conditioned tap water but switched to RODI water over 3 months ago and have been doing two 5% water changes a week to replace the tank water.

UCF Alum

Stick addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See my answer above.
Your test kit is wrong or your testing incorrectly. There is no salt mixed at 35ppt that mixes that high. Check youtube on the proper method for RedSea. I also do not like the RedSea alk test kits. Spend $50 and get a Hanna checker.

link81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
16 is pretty crazy high.
are you 100% sure you're doing the test correctly?
I have both the red sea and the sailfert tests, and much prefer the sailfert. I find the red sea hard to read personally.

OP
OP
T

Todd Kellley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im not sure, my go to is Salifert.

Well you can use things like muriatic acid or Seachem acid buffer to lower alk in your tank, but in doing so, you produce CO2 in your tank, which will decrease your pH, so you have that problem to deal with. Probably NOT the best way to do this. I think the preferred method is to do water changes with water lower in alk, so this is where you'd apply the muriatic acid or Seachem acid buffer; You maintain the correct salinity while providing water with lower alk.
So lower or make sure the Alk is lower in the replacement water? What I read last night says fresh RO water should be very low in alk but I should probably test and verify correct? This is why I asked here because I asked the owner of the LFS when I bought the kit what I needed to adjust once I had results. He told me if it tests low start with a little of the reefbuilder buffer, if it is high like 10 leave it alone. Yet seachem has a buffer to lower it. Thank you!

link81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think i would try to find someone to confirm my testing before i go to far.
LFS or another reefer close by. If you're near me, i'd be more then willing to provide a second opinion.

if most of the inhabitants look ok, i'd be worried about doing anything too fast.

OP
OP
T

Todd Kellley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See my answer above.
Your test kit is wrong or your testing incorrectly. There is no salt mixed at 35ppt that mixes that high. Check youtube on the proper method for RedSea. I also do not like the RedSea alk test kits. Spend $50 and get a Hanna checker.
Shoot! It cost me $50 for the Redsea kits but then again this is why I ask you guys so I get honest advice. Yes my salt is ussually right at 35ppm, last night when I checked it is was closer to 38ppm so I did add some fresh RO water with no salt of course. Would that be reason for the higher Alk reading? All my other kits are sailfert. I should have stayed with that.

OP
OP
T

Todd Kellley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think i would try to find someone to confirm my testing before i go to far.
LFS or another reefer close by. If you're near me, i'd be more then willing to provide a second opinion.

if most of the inhabitants look ok, i'd be worried about doing anything too fast.
Thank you, that was my convern, other then my 2 BTA's being a little shrunk (which they have been for over a month now) everything else seems happy. Oh and a stressed LTA but seems it is just acclimating and not as fast as my others have.

TheGulag

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you doing the test like what are the steps you are taking? I feel for something that high without adding anything there may be some unintended testing error going on.

I have the Red Sea Kit and test about every day, also cross check with the Hanna Checkers every now and then and match up within .1 or .2.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Todd Kellley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
16 seems very high and unlikely. I would take to the LFS that you bought the kit from and have them test the water using their test kits. Let us know how it goes.
That seems to be the overwhelming response. It was 10:00 last night before I got to test and about lost my mind when I saw the first results, then the 2nd and 3rd and then this morning. Either operator error or something is wrong with this test. Thank you for the input and advice. Always appreciated!

OP
OP
T

Todd Kellley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's start here...
What are you dosing to get your alk that high?

If your answer is "nothing," you Alk test kit is wrong.
Sounds like you are right. Hopefully my error and I did not waste money on a bad kit because yes I have dosed nothing for alkalinity. Thank you!

TheGulag

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if this isn't just a mis-read syringe. Are you reading at the bottom of the plunger or the level of the reagent?
It reads to 14dkh on the Red Sea Pro kit so I'm really curious how he is getting 16

link81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
real dumb question.....
does the red sea even measure to 16?
how many ml of titrant are you using?
how much water are you starting with?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 26.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 32.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 30.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back