ALK Overdose and Bounce Back - Very strange - Could use some help

Xhris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The past 24 hours have been very strange for my tank as I goofed it up royalty. Tank is about 6 months old, mostly torch frags (about 10) a large hammer and frog spawn, and a medium favia. Its been very stable for the past 45 days.

Yesterday afternoon at at about 1:00 PM I accidentally turned my Apex from "Auto" to "On" and it ran for the next few hours dosing Soda Ash (BlkReefSupply) into the water. I caught the mistake at about 3PM, in that time frame I dosed about 388ML of ALK. The tank spiked from 8.02 to 13.97 (which works out based on the dosing math)

1649603969665.png

When we got home the tank was slightly cloudy, but not terrible. I verified the Alk with a RedSea test just to ensure everything was working properly. I was getting 14 on the test as well - in other threads we read about not creating a downward spike we did a quick 5 Gallon water change, and changed a second DOS from daily water changes to a manual water change of 20 gallons over 24 hours.

The tank rebounded very quickly, much faster than I expected. (As can be seen above). So I stopped the auto water changes - it only changed about 3 gallons of water total before I turned it off.

Alk settled back at 8 - the tank looks good other than some precipitants on the glass that we are scraping off. Today the corals are all happy and open (they have been happy and opened the entire time actually) The fish also deem to be doing just fine.

Two very strange things tho:
1. My ATO is empty, which means it added 5 gallons of RODI water in the past 2 days. I'm not sure how / why this happened. Its way more than we typically use.
2. My MG Fell hard as can be seen in the photo below (MG vs ALK):
1649604393089.png

And this is where I am stuck - I do not know what is going on?

Why did the ALK rebound back down so quickly?
Why is the MG dropping?
Why did my tank use so much RODI water through the ATO so quickly (I could have goofed up the measurements on my 5 Gal water change a bit, but not enough to run the RODI chamber dry)

Any advice is appreciated, still new to this trying to figure everything out.

Thanks

OP
OP
Xhris

Xhris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your calcium and salinity?

Salinity when I got home and tested was at 34, it was probably around 35 before the spike. My trident isn't reliable with salinity and often tests high.

Calcium is always a bit high here. Calcium does read a bit higher than my chemical test, I use it more for stability - I subtract about 20 from these numbers as a good guideline. (I do have a 7 stage RODI system - TDS measures zero on the output. TDS flips between zero and 1 in the bucket.) You can see after the spike the calcium dropped drastically. It hasn't increased since.

1649682579089.png

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Near as I can tell, all your parameters dropped as a result of your ATO operating more than normal. I'm not sure why the alkalinity dropped so much compared to calcium and magnesium, but your salinity also went from 35 to 34.

OP
OP
Xhris

Xhris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Near as I can tell, all your parameters dropped as a result of your ATO operating more than normal. I'm not sure why the alkalinity dropped so much compared to calcium and magnesium, but your salinity also went from 35 to 34.
But why? Its not like the system flooded, it was just keeping the water level stable - if anything it should have added to the spike as it ran out of RODI water (5 gallon tank). But the water levels weren't down drastically.

Thats part of what I am missing - how did I magically lose 5 gallons in a matter of hours.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But why? Its not like the system flooded, it was just keeping the water level stable - if anything it should have added to the spike as it ran out of RODI water (5 gallon tank). But the water levels weren't down drastically.

Thats part of what I am missing - how did I magically lose 5 gallons in a matter of hours.
Without knowing a few more details about your tank I'm really guessing - and even then I may just be speculating.

* You inadvertently spiked the alkalinity
* You performed an initial manual water change
* Your DOS performed a partial water change
* Your ATO used 5 gallons of RO vs. the normal amount during the course of the event
* Alkalinity dropped back to normal, salinity calcium and magnesium all dropped below normal levels

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back