Alk question

Discussion in 'Reef Chemistry by Randy Holmes-Farley' started by cwb_reeftank, Feb 13, 2017.

1. cwb_reeftank

cwb_reeftank Well-Known Member

I try to keep my tanks alk between 7-9 but when I use my red sea salt(not the pro) it brings my alk back up to 11. I was wondering if I had a bad batch of salt or something else.

2. Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley Reef Chemist Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Expert Contributor Article Contributor

How much water are you changing at once?

3. Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley Reef Chemist Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Expert Contributor Article Contributor

4. cwb_reeftank

im doing 10-15 gallons a week in a 55 gallon tank and yes that one

5. Randy Holmes-Farley

It shouldn't be raising the alk. Maybe there is testing error, a batch with super high alk, serious settling in the bucket if you only used part of it, or testing error. I can't tell which, but making some more salt water and testing it for alk is a good start on figuring it out.

6. cwb_reeftank

That's what I thought but wasn't sure I'll try to mix up my salt tonight than make some new water and test it than add it and test that. Oh I also test with a hanna checker

7. redfishbluefish

redfishbluefish Stay Positive, Stay Productive R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Build Thread Contributor NJRC Member Article Contributor

One additional thought......how are you measuring salinity. If it's a swing-arm hydrometer, they are known to be inaccurate. That is, if you're unknowingly making a higher concentration of salt, it would also drive up alkalinity. Just a thought.

8. cwb_reeftank

I use a refractometer to check my salinity and I keep it as close to 1.025 as I can

redfishbluefish likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted