Alk roller coaster

kingfisherfleshy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As much as I would love to have another reefer in the family...my sister is married ha ha...I would love something that would also raise my pH...as that could go a little higher as well. So I guess the baking soda is the best solution. I have the seachem pH buffer...and that does great things for alk, but I was still struggling to keep my pH at 8.2...I added an air pump...AND...ran out of pH testing supplies. So for now Im in the dark.

The no worries be happy thing was kinda how I used to run things...and things were and still are looking great, but Im hoping that Im keeping conditions more constant now, and I also want to make conditions "more ideal" as I am getting more sps, and also my first chalice sometime in the near future.

Thinking about pulling the trigger on the baking soda...will that be good enough as I already have good calcium levels that come with magnesium?

Otherwise I found this and thought it might be an interesting solution to all the problems...any experience? Would this solve things?

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store...ium-and-alkalinity-total-package-large-1.html

Last edited:

lazyreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the BRS stuff to dose daily Kingfish. I buy it in larger bulk packaging and the plunger type dispenser in the jug is a pretty neat setup, keeps things relatively clean and easy.

Be careful.....lol....I started out exactly like you wanting to "improve" things a bit....what a PITA! :)

kingfisherfleshy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the BRS stuff to dose daily Kingfish. I buy it in larger bulk packaging and the plunger type dispenser in the jug is a pretty neat setup, keeps things relatively clean and easy.

Be careful.....lol....I started out exactly like you wanting to "improve" things a bit....what a PITA! :)

Ah! But I want things to really come together. I wasnt serious about acro's milli's and the other "difficult" hard corals until recently. Im seeing great growth...so I want to add more, but would kinda like to have my problems under control by then! :xd:

Do you think the BRS stuff would help with the pH and alk?

Thanks for the other sites too...Im planning on reading through that, just as soon as I have the time.

lazyreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most definitely the BRS dosing system will help your corals get maximum growth.

BUT, if you don't consistantly stick with the program, the up and down parameters you'll get from dosing one day and maybe not again for a day or two will cause problems. IMHO a tank is better off with consistantly lower numbers and slower growth, than a roller coaster of higher numbers which can cause stress.

kingfisherfleshy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most definitely the BRS dosing system will help your corals get maximum growth.

BUT, if you don't consistantly stick with the program, the up and down parameters you'll get from dosing one day and maybe not again for a day or two will cause problems. IMHO a tank is better off with consistantly lower numbers and slower growth, than a roller coaster of higher numbers which can cause stress.

Im good at the daily stuff...do to my recent "problems" Ive been testing pH and alk everyday... I also have another list of things that I do everyday, and every other day...so no worries about me falling behind. How much of the BRS stuff do you go through? Is it cheaper to dose that way than other ways? Right now dosing for alk twice a week is killing me.

OP
OP
LegoZ81

LegoZ81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally gave up on the my calcium reactor and any hopes to get it dialed in and am working back to dosing 2-part with a dosing pump. With pH on the CaRX ad 7.75 and the pump set to "15" my alk has been steady at 168ppm (9.408) for almost 72hours now (trying to check morning and night on weekends), this is the longest I have been able to keep it spot on since moving the livestock over from my 125 earlier this year.
here are the reports on my tank from reefnook:
Reefnook | Online Reef Aquarium Management | Reports for LegoZ's 240g Reef

Last edited:
OP
OP
LegoZ81

LegoZ81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alk has since dropped and is at 160ppm or 8.96dkh I upped the dosing pump and it has held for 24hours now. Will continue to monitor, calcium reactor pH is up to 7.96 so it should be out of the equation now. My target is between 8-9dkh so it is now within my goal range.

Bruno

MEMBER OF THE ELITE FORCE
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's your mag?? your ALK will never be stable unless your your mag is up 1300-1350

OP
OP
LegoZ81

LegoZ81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alk slid down slightly more to 8.736 upped the dosing pump another 1ml (per it's setting not the actual rate) up to 17 or 18 now

cwegescheide

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best thing I ever did for Alk/Ca stability was buy a Litermeter and dose Randy's 2 part solution. I've never had such stability before. I sold both ca reactors I had. They were a total PIA compared to the Litermeter. I mix up enough 2 part to last a few months and I'm done. If I notice my alk going down just press a button and I'm done.

OP
OP
LegoZ81

LegoZ81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dosing pump is at 19 and alk has held at 8.736 since 8/28

OP
OP
LegoZ81

LegoZ81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
alk fluttered and was down to 8.036 but has slowly been brought back up. it seems like my sweet spot is between 19 and 20. not sure why this large of a system can bounce around so easily. plus side is my Hanna Alk colormeter is pre-ordered and I bought 100 regent refills to have on hand. I think i am going to pick up or borrow a mag test kit to validate mine is still good.

Date Parameter Value Note
[x] 09/15/10 09:57 PM Alkalinity 9.184 LaMotte
[x] 09/13/10 09:02 PM Alkalinity 8.96 LaMotte
[x] 09/12/10 10:41 PM Alkalinity 8.512 LaMotte
[x] 09/11/10 12:53 AM Alkalinity 8.176 LaMotte
[x] 09/09/10 10:21 PM Alkalinity 8.624 LaMotte
[x] 09/08/10 09:13 PM Alkalinity 8.624 LaMotte
[x] 09/07/10 10:24 PM Alkalinity 8.064 LaMotte
[x] 09/05/10 10:48 PM Alkalinity 8.736 LaMotte
8-28 thru 9-5 alk was stable at 8.736

Last edited:
OP
OP
LegoZ81

LegoZ81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok what gives dropped dosing pump to 19 last night so it should have started dropping and guess what. Alk is UP to 9.632

OP
OP
LegoZ81

LegoZ81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
old thread but sweet spot has been 21 on my dosing pump and things have finally been pretty stable on random checking. i need to get back to logging things on reefnook again and also do a full test this weekend, My mag is more than likely REALLY low.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 65 30.5%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 59 27.7%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 44 20.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 43 20.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back