Alk solution not dissolving.

Jmas4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used @Randy Holmes-Farley's diy method but the sodium bicarbonate won't dissolve all the wat. I put in a heater set to 87 and a power head in the container for 2 days but there still is a lot of participate. Can you guys help?
Thanks and Happy Reefing.

Justin Cook

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it precipitate or small chunks that didn't dissolve? I always think of precipitate as a fine coating that occurs when something that was in solution falls out of solution. If it's the small chunks that never fully dissolved, I have that regularly and haven't ever had an issue adding it to my tank and having a few get in the tank.

OP
OP
Jmas4

Jmas4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it precipitate or small chunks that didn't dissolve? I always think of precipitate as a fine coating that occurs when something that was in solution falls out of solution. If it's the small chunks that never fully dissolved, I have that regularly and haven't ever had an issue adding it to my tank and having a few get in the tank.
I do not know it it is percipate or undissolved soadium bi carbonate. The solution is cloudy and when I turn off the powerhead, I see solid stuff at the bottom.

Justin Cook

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually have the little solid pieces at the bottom, not a tremendous amount but some and I don't worry about those. Wish I could help but the cloudy issue is not one I've dealt with except when I screwed up and added too much to fully dissolve it all. I hope someone else can chime it here and give you some better guidance.

Monkeytank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see the same thing with the baked version of the recipe. The recommended water just never seems to be enough to fully dissolve it. I started adding a little more RO water and pouring it all into my dosing container with some fines still left.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back