Alk stability?

MelReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So first I will introduce you to my tank. 40 gallon Red Sea. I have had it for a year and a half now and have successfully kept lps and anemones. Radion xr 15w pro for my lighting. I am excited to get into the big world of sps and have ordered my very first which will be coming soon. Tank levels: Calcium: 450 ph: 8.4 salinity: 1.025 phosphate: I believe it is below .1 but it is hard to tell because salifert does not give exact numbers ammonia: 0 Alkalinity: now here is the problem. In preparation for the sps I started cracking down on my alk levels. I was testing everyday and through dosing Red sea’s alk supplement and kalkwasser in my top off I was successful in raising my alk to 9.5. I got it to 9.5 two days ago. After getting it to 9.5 I stopped dosing the Red Sea supplement.Yesterday it was 9.4 and today it’s 9.0. I am frustrated because I know acros won’t tolerate swings. How do I maintain my alk levels?

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will have to keep dosing to keep alk up if thats what you want. Alk would be fine at a lower level if stable
If you dont like dosing every day, either manually or with an automatic doser, then a calcium reactor will do the job for you

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alk and cal will be used up daily by the corals and other chemical and metobalic functions within the tank. Dosing daily will be needed to keep the levels stable. Imo kalk in the ATO water is a great way to start with dosing. Its cheap, super simple and if you already have an ATO then you dont need to purchase any other equipment. 2 partnis more costly and will raise salinity over time. A cal rx is an end all be all for dosing a reef tank but the initial cost up from is pretty high. I have been using kalk in my tanks for a long time and it keeps sps growing, alk and cal stable and provides a nice bump in ph.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 17 33.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 19.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 9.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 27.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.0%
Back