Alk swings and confusion

Alex's Nano Reef

Don't tell my Landlord
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone please link me to a article that explains the common alk swings throughout the day of a reef tank with no controller. At 2:30pm it’s like 9.2 and at 8 o’clock pm it’s at 13 and then I assume it swings back after the lights turn off over night. I don’t really understand what causes this and how to mitigate it

OP
OP
Alex's Nano Reef

Alex's Nano Reef

Don't tell my Landlord
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is not a common alk swing, controller or not. Are you dosing?

Alkalinity should "swing" it should be consumed. Unless you are dosing, check your pumps. If nothing is being added then i would assume testing error either on the operator or the testing kit.
Yeah I’ve test this and noticed it multiple times. I use a hanna checker alk tester I calibrate everything every 2 months. On top of that I’ve backed up these results with a salifert and api spin test or whatever they have at the LFS. I have a line from the skimmer to the outside could that be doing something? Originally it was to keep my ph up.

OP
OP
Alex's Nano Reef

Alex's Nano Reef

Don't tell my Landlord
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not have a controller or any auto dosing but I was dosing. I would test the alk at the same time of day for 3 days then whatever the average consumption was between the days I would dose that nightly.

OfficeReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed with all the comments. Check your process and samples, keep them consistent and at the same times of day. If you are using a colormetric reagent test, consider one with more regular processes like the Alkatronic or Trident from Apex.

OP
OP
Alex's Nano Reef

Alex's Nano Reef

Don't tell my Landlord
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed with all the comments. Check your process and samples, keep them consistent and at the same times of day. If you are using a colormetric reagent test, consider one with more regular processes like the Alkatronic or Trident from Apex.
I’m gonna assume you haven’t read what I replied to all those comments.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m gonna assume you haven’t read what I replied to all those comments.
Had a look at your build thread. Are you still adding pH increasing stuff to your top off water?
Is your water change water high in Alk? If so, why?
Normally I would think that you’ve calculated your consumption slightly high, then dosed it regardless for too long without testing. Should keep testing regularly when you make a change to dosing. I may be wrong though, obviously.

OP
OP
Alex's Nano Reef

Alex's Nano Reef

Don't tell my Landlord
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a look at your build thread. Are you still adding pH increasing stuff to your top off water?
Is your water change water high in Alk? If so, why?
Normally I would think that you’ve calculated your consumption slightly high, then dosed it regardless for too long without testing. Should keep testing regularly when you make a change to dosing. I may be wrong though, obviously.
This is why I’m perplexed because no I’m not adding the buffer to my ro as it decimated my Calcium levels. But it was to keep ph up but then I ran a hose from the skimmer outside.I’m running Red Sea coral pro so possibly that high alk content is adding to the problem. But could that be causing Dailey swings I’m gonna test my alk in about 30 minutes then when I get home from work I’ll post the numbers it will prolly be a insane swing.

OP
OP
Alex's Nano Reef

Alex's Nano Reef

Don't tell my Landlord
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did actually. Which is why many of us are confused. I'll check out your build thread but @Garf may be onto something with your ATO water perhaps.
ATO Is offline. I’m hand topping off 2-3 times a day in small increments. And no buffer in the RO anymore it’s been like that for months

Tiki_Reef

My daily driver is a nano.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your pH? I am assuming since you pull air in from the outside your pH is at least 8.3ish, I pull air from outside on my 120 and my pH is 8.36 and I use a calcium reactor to maintain my alkalinity because I can't keep enough in my tank due to coral uptake and due to higher pH precipitation. There is something missing from this equation, how do you measure your salinity because it is possible your salinity might be off.

OP
OP
Alex's Nano Reef

Alex's Nano Reef

Don't tell my Landlord
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your pH? I am assuming since you pull air in from the outside your pH is at least 8.3ish, I pull air from outside on my 120 and my pH is 8.36 and I use a calcium reactor to maintain my alkalinity because I can't keep enough in my tank due to coral uptake and due to higher pH precipitation. There is something missing from this equation, how do you measure your salinity because it is possible your salinity might be off.
All Hanna checkers that are calibrated once every 2 months religiously. My salinity is 1.025. My ph goes down when my lights turn off not much but it does and it starts comin back up when lights go back on.

Tiki_Reef

My daily driver is a nano.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All Hanna checkers that are calibrated once every 2 months religiously. My salinity is 1.025. My ph goes down when my lights turn off not much but it does and it starts comin back up when lights go back on.
Ok what is your pH, also do you heat your water change water to match your tank water? The reason I ask is the Hanna salinity checker doesn't compensate for temp change very well I only use it as a reference to my Milwaukee digital refractometer.

Added what do you use to check the temperature of your water change water? The Hanna salinity checker's thermometer is usually off .5 degrees plus or minus.

OP
OP
Alex's Nano Reef

Alex's Nano Reef

Don't tell my Landlord
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok what is your pH, also do you heat your water change water to match your tank water? The reason I ask is the Hanna salinity checker doesn't compensate for temp change very well I only use it as a reference to my Milwaukee digital refractometer.

Added what do you use to check the temperature of your water change water? The Hanna salinity checker's thermometer is usually off .5 degrees plus or minus.
Ph is at pretty much 8.2-8.25. Yes before I do a water change I heat the water up to basically the same temp. I do you that to check temp aswell as the little thermometer I use for the tank.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 6 6.0%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 26 26.0%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 49 49.0%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 17 17.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back