Alk testing discrepancy

ssster2020

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I apologize if there is already a thread that is discussing this. I couldn't find a specific one.

I test my tank major parameters weekly, Wednesday afternoon, and do an approximate 10% water change Saturday morning.
Last week my Alk test, I've been using a Hanna checker for 6 weeks, had dropped to 7.8 from the mid 8's where it's been for months. I increased my dosing rate to make it up. This week it was 6.9? So I got out my old Red Sea manual test kit, it showed 9. Incidentally the Ca level both weeks was 460 where it's been consistently. The Mg level was at 1250 both weeks. And my PH is and has been consistently 8.4, daily swing from 8.35 to 8.45.

I retested Alk using both methods, the results were 6.8 on Hanna and 9 using Red Sea.

I then checked the doser, made sure the lines weren't plugged, calibration was marginally low but not bad, so I think I can rule it out as a problem.

I don't have a tie breaking test kit and really don't have access to one quickly.

Does anyone have any ideas? Is there any history of hanna Alk checker problems?

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any chance you're near the end of the reagent bottle with the Hanna checker? I've read that some people experience testing issues when they are near the end of the bottle.
I've never had such a discrepancy with my Hanna checker.

OP
OP
S

ssster2020

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks I checked the reagent level and it is maybe 1/2 full, so it should be OK. Maybe I'll order a new bottle anyway as a way to rule the reagent out of the diagnosis. The good news is I had about 6 weeks of smooth sailing which is a record for me! lol

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks I checked the reagent level and it is maybe 1/2 full, so it should be OK. Maybe I'll order a new bottle anyway as a way to rule the reagent out of the diagnosis. The good news is I had about 6 weeks of smooth sailing which is a record for me! lol

try testing your salt mix, if you trust the brand you use to have a somewhat accurate alk lvl in their salt, see if your Hanna tests that correctly.

Chances are it’s a testing error, leaving lid of the Hanna reagent bottle for a little too long can do it, or a salinity issue, very easy to get your salinity wrong, that would then throw your other parameters off.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
try testing your salt mix, if you trust the brand you use to have a somewhat accurate alk lvl in their salt, see if your Hanna tests that correctly.

Chances are it’s a testing error, leaving lid of the Hanna reagent bottle for a little too long can do it, or a salinity issue, very easy to get your salinity wrong, that would then throw your other parameters

Could be testing error yes, but salinity issues would presumably throw off both tests not just one.

OP
OP
S

ssster2020

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is my thought, too. I started to use it because I was getting tired of trying to figure out when the red sea went from blue to green! And it seemed to work initially but now I'm stumped

Chances are it’s a testing error, leaving lid of the Hanna reagent bottle for a little too long can do it, or a salinity issue, very easy to get your salinity wrong, that would then throw your other parameters off.

OP
OP
S

ssster2020

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My plan is to lower my dosing rate, continue testing daily, and order a different test kit. Any suggestions for the test kit?

I will test the salt mix, good idea, it should at least give me a standard.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I apologize if there is already a thread that is discussing this. I couldn't find a specific one.

I test my tank major parameters weekly, Wednesday afternoon, and do an approximate 10% water change Saturday morning.
Last week my Alk test, I've been using a Hanna checker for 6 weeks, had dropped to 7.8 from the mid 8's where it's been for months. I increased my dosing rate to make it up. This week it was 6.9? So I got out my old Red Sea manual test kit, it showed 9. Incidentally the Ca level both weeks was 460 where it's been consistently. The Mg level was at 1250 both weeks. And my PH is and has been consistently 8.4, daily swing from 8.35 to 8.45.

I retested Alk using both methods, the results were 6.8 on Hanna and 9 using Red Sea.

I then checked the doser, made sure the lines weren't plugged, calibration was marginally low but not bad, so I think I can rule it out as a problem.

I don't have a tie breaking test kit and really don't have access to one quickly.

Does anyone have any ideas? Is there any history of hanna Alk checker problems?
I had the same problem with Hanna alk tester. Dropping over a week, me increasing triton dose. After 2 weeks I tested with Red Sea and got 11 dkh, vs 8 target.
Hanna was stupid low, like 6. Bought new Hanna, tested old unit with new reagent, same 6 dkh. New one matched rs.
It happens.

OP
OP
S

ssster2020

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

TBH I have trust issues with my major parameters. I check salinity using the hanna checker and a refractometer. Both of which were calibrated last week so salinity should be accurate, 1.025 specific gravity.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My plan is to lower my dosing rate, continue testing daily, and order a different test kit. Any suggestions for the test kit?

I will test the salt mix, good idea, it should at least give me a standard.

I recommend both salifert and elos for alkalinity. Never have any issues. I would use api before i trusted the hanna though.

Careful with using salt mix as baseline. There is some variation anyway even if you do get it properly mixed.

OP
OP
S

ssster2020

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same problem with Hanna alk tester. Dropping over a week, me increasing triton dose. After 2 weeks I tested with Red Sea and got 11 dkh, vs 8 target.
Hanna was stupid low, like 6. Bought new Hanna, tested old unit with new reagent, same 6 dkh. New one matched rs.
It happens.
Perfect thanks for the experience. I'm still new at this and every time something different happens I kind of panic and really rely on experienced reefers to calm me down and give me direction.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently had problems with their low range nitrate tester. The vial would not c2, was low or high. Watched the green led inside and it was dim/fading. Replaced with high range nitrate tester, which is much more user friendly.
Hobby grade stuff.

OP
OP
S

ssster2020

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recommend both salifert and elos for alkalinity. Never have any issues. I would use api before i trusted the hanna though.

Careful with using salt mix as baseline. There is some variation anyway even if you do get it properly mixed.
I bought the Hanna Alk tester basically like I said I was having trouble differentiating the colour change on my Red Sea. But also I was having trouble with measuring phosphates with the checker I was using so I bought the hanna phosphate checker, it was life changing to me I love it. I think I'll simply go back to manual testing for alk

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using the Hanna alk tester, same one, for over 5 years.
I also use salifert and elos as a cross reference. 95+% of the time the hanna is right on. I have the standards too.
For the last few bottles, I check alk every morning, the Hanna has been reading .5 lower than both salifert and elos.
I have never had the alk be off more than that. If it was it was always operator error.
Just my experience.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be testing error yes, but salinity issues would presumably throw off both tests not just one.

the OP said they only tested with the second test kit the Red Sea when they saw the alk drop, so the Red Sea wouldn’t have changed result, the Hanna also showed a stable result after the initial drop, so yes it could be a salinity issue, worthwhile to at least check.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the OP said they only tested with the second test kit the Red Sea when they saw the alk drop, so the Red Sea wouldn’t have changed result, the Hanna also showed a stable result after the initial drop, so yes it could be a salinity issue, worthwhile to at least check.

Hanna showed 6.9. Red Sea showed 9. The difference between the two test cannot be explained by a salinity issue.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya I guess so. One that only impacts hanna tester and does not impact the calc test at all.

with the other tests being so dependent on stopping at the same point each time, I wasn’t giving the OP’s results with those too much weight.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 31 33.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 9.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 5.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 25 26.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back