Alk / water change question

  • Thread starter Thread starter Maho.B
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Maho.B

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 3, 2024
Messages
398
Reaction score
214
Location
Minnetonka, MN.
What state or country do you live in
Minnesota
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. I'm scheduled to do a 15% water change on my reef tank today. My current alkalinity is 8.2

My water change water alkalinity is 7.3 which mixed up a little lower than usual as it's normally around 7.8 or so.

Will adding 7.2 water to my 8.2 reef be too much of a swing? I have mostly sps so just wondering if it's risky. Thank you.
 
How big is your tank? Shouldn’t be a problem at all. It will just mix right in with the rest of water. Might barely move but not much. I keep my tank at 8.3-8.6 and use tmp which mixes to 7 and I haven’t really noticed a difference at all after
 
Ok good to know. The total volume of water in my tank is 110 gallons. Thank you
 
All salt mixes are different, I prefer a 9.3 to 10.0 dKH, that's why I use Instant Ocean Reef Crystals. It mixes up at 10.5 to 11.0 dKH. Makes maintaining the dKH easier. 8 to 12 dKH is prefered.
 
Whoa! That's all the effect it will have... thanks for that info.

You’re welcome.

Alk (or most things we measure except pH) are just the weighted average of the two solutions.

0.15 x 7.3 dKH + 0.85 x 8.2 dKH = 8.07 :)
 

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.9%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 7.3%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 17 20.7%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 24 29.3%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 11.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 4 4.9%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 11 13.4%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 6 7.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new