Alk

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys what does everyone keep their alk and calcium at?
I was using Red Sea pro salt so I was at 12 dkh and It seemed like my corals were growing better at that level.
Since I wanted to start the triton method they recomend somewhere around 8.
So I have been letting my corals suck it down to 8.1 which it is at as of yesterday.
I have been testing every week on Saturday at 9 pm until I hit the 8 dkh mark.
I hit it this Saturday I was at 8.4 dkh I then tested again on Sunday at 9 pm and it was at 8.1.
From testing every week that's what I figured I was loseing a day .3 dkh.

So back to my question it seemed like everything was growing with the higher dkh and when I hit the 9 dkh mark it seemed like everything was slowing down growth wise. I havnt started the triton method yet I'm still waiting to move into my new house so should I just run it at 12 dkh till I move? Or am I thinking they aren't growing but they really are?

Here are my Parameters
Test Sat. Sun
Dkh. 8.4. 8.1
Cal. 375. 350
N03. 0. 0
P04. .16. .16
Mag this test I can't do always dif results

Also does anyone see any problems with my parameters?

There are no fish in my system they are in timeout just snails and a cleaner shrimp

Thanks for ur help
Justin

rock_lobster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont think it would make a difference. Rather the change in parameter will slow down growth while the corals adjust. Natural sea water is around Dkh of 8.3 so your coral should be able to reach their peak growth potential at that level with stable parameters. You need to check magnesium it is very important in reef tank.

OP
OP
justingraham

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do check magnesium I just get diffrent results every time. The one day it will be 875 the next will be 1340. And I did it twice in a row and got 875 and I did it twice in a row and got 1340 a day apart from each other so I don't know how that is possible so I have the results they just aren't right or if they are someone is sneaking in and adding magnesium.
And I understand that consistency is key and it will stay at 8.1 I just wanted to let it get there first. But
Nitrates and phosphates have been consistant.
So I guess back to my question what have u guys seen better growth results at dkh wise?

ReeferMaddness843

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've kept a low alk of 7 since day one and seem pretty healthy growth of LPS and softies. Just got a few sticks and they seem to be doing well. My calc always runs 480ish and mag 1380-1400. I'm a manual Doser and keep as consistent as possible. I have a super clean system with undetectable trates and po4, which I am actually working to try and get the water a little dirtier at the moment without going overboard. All Salifert tests. My understanding is alk should also be relative to your nutrience. The lower nutrience systems should run lower alk. That's been my understanding thus far. Only about a year in myself so someone with more chemistry knowledge may chime in otherwise. Just my experience.

OP
OP
justingraham

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I have a problem keeping everything high with no fish in my tank

rock_lobster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do check magnesium I just get diffrent results every time. The one day it will be 875 the next will be 1340. And I did it twice in a row and got 875 and I did it twice in a row and got 1340 a day apart from each other so I don't know how that is possible so I have the results they just aren't right or if they are someone is sneaking in and adding magnesium.
And I understand that consistency is key and it will stay at 8.1 I just wanted to let it get there first. But
So I guess back to my question what have u guys seen better growth results at dkh wise?

That was my experience equal growth at DKH between 7-11..... No difference in growth. just pick a number and keep it there. I would definitely find a different magnesium test kit if the one you have doesnt work for you.

rock_lobster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Also most kits come with a control so use that and see if your test is accurate.

OP
OP
justingraham

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea test kit
Is a pain to do
I'll get the wife to learn how to do it and let that be her thing she already does the nitrates and phosphates

rock_lobster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh ya i havent tried that one. I've used salifert for probably 10 years very accurate and quick less than a minute.

OP
OP
justingraham

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This puppy is like a ten to 15 min test really a pita

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
justingraham

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also use all Salifert test kits except for phosphates. I have partial blindness and seeing colors is tough, but I can see the change in the saliferet kits. When you see a color change with the alk, calc, and mag kits, you check your syringe and compare it to the chart for your reading. Red sea pro usually runs high in mag from what i understand.

as far as the alk is concerned, I had my best growth when alk was 8.1 - 8.3, calc 440, and mag 1400. I kept N at 5 and P at .03, but that's when i was running fallow. I fed marine snow and docs eco egg brew during my fallow period. Now that fish are back in, my nutrients have yet to stabilize. I hope some of this helps

OP
OP
justingraham

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes thank u very much
I Alan beleive my levels are higher as I think I was not at the right color after I researched it some more on the web but regardless of the actual number the corals are still consuming .3 dkh a day so yeah
Does anyone have any experience of red seas foundation powder??

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes thank u very much
I Alan beleive my levels are higher as I think I was not at the right color after I researched it some more on the web but regardless of the actual number the corals are still consuming .3 dkh a day so yeah
Does anyone have any experience of red seas foundation powder??
No sir, I do not. I use aquaforest reef salt and dose kalk via ato. Aquaforest mixes right at our under 8 dkh. 60 bucks for a big bucket. I like it bc our mixes to the parameters I'm aiming for

OP
OP
justingraham

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right and I have looked into AF and its expensive for my tank like 300 a month to dose it properly my plan is to do triton but I'm waiting till I move to start that up so I just want to keep everything stable till then

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Triton is a good program. I only use the af salt. I got tired of running low nutrients and just removed all of my chemical filtration, lol. Trying to be a reef rebel

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 34.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 39.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 19.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back