Alkaline issues

40ways2doit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im running a sunsun 370 canister with UV light on , with bio balls , ceramic tubes, phosguard by fluval and mechanical filter sponge( blue one ) and polishing pad. White one. Temp is 77, using quantum sps and mixing to the instructions gives you alk around 8 and ph at 8.3 cal 410-420 mag 1250-1300. Ive done multiple 25% water changes and my alk is still at almost 12. Is there something i should be checking besides water? 2 corals already died and im stafting to wonder . I have 4 fish and clove polys, and a mushroom and a goni which all look fine. Tips appreciated thx :)

image.jpg

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im running a sunsun 370 canister with UV light on , with bio balls , ceramic tubes, phosguard by fluval and mechanical filter sponge( blue one ) and polishing pad. White one. Temp is 77, using quantum sps and mixing to the instructions gives you alk around 8 and ph at 8.3 cal 410-420 mag 1250-1300. Ive done multiple 25% water changes and my alk is still at almost 12. Is there something i should be checking besides water? 2 corals already died and im stafting to wonder . I have 4 fish and clove polys, and a mushroom and a goni which all look fine. Tips appreciated thx :)

image.jpg
If your Alkalinity is high after mixing it normally means your Salinity is too high.

How are you measuring Salinity?

OP
OP

40ways2doit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What sort of "ceramic tubes"?

Any cement or artificial rock products? Those can boost alk and pH.
so im using artificial rock and thats whats leading me to believe the super rise in alkalinity. Ph is stable at 8.0-8.3 but the alk hit almost 16. Its goona take alot of soaking time for these rocks to stabilize i assume even though there are real reef rocks they probably are new

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, you can either very slowly add an acid to the tank to lower alk, or drop the alk in water change water as low as you want.

OP
OP

40ways2doit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, you can either very slowly add an acid to the tank to lower alk, or drop the alk in water change water as low as you want.

That will raise the ph?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually that will lower the ph if science is real

Of course science is real. lol

Yes, it lowers pH, and lowers alkalinity.

You won't find any chemical additive that can both raise pH and lower alkalinity.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 27 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back