New to dosing any suggestions

thisguy1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some I’m starting to dose my tank with Neonitro and Neophos. Whenever I test my tank my nitrates are always 0 but I’ve been feeding slightly more so my phosphate now between 0.03-0.06 whenever I test. But I somewhat want to stop since I only have 3 fish. It’s a 15 gallon IM tank thinking of getting a 4th fish but highly doubt it. I do 1-2 gallon water change weekly. I’m new to dosing I’ve started off with the Neonitro first followed the instructions on the bottle waited 24 hours to test again and still 0. Only filtration have in my back chamber is filter floss no mechanical right now. Should I does everyday or every other day the same amount until I see something? My parameters
  • Alk 8-9 dKH
  • PH 7.8-8
  • Nitrate 0
  • Nitrite 0
  • Ammonia 0
  • Salinity 1.024
  • Temp 77-78
  • Cal 420
  • Mag 1,600-1,700
  • Phos 0.04

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was dosing the daily recomended 3 to 4 times a day for a while before it would sit above 1ppm on its own.

I've moved on to dosing ammonium chloride but don't feel I should recomend it.

Bottom line, yes with observation of levels day to day, you can increase the dosage of neonitro to get them detectable. Make sure whatever increase ypu do to dosing is gradual, I doubled mine then trippled mine without issues, but always be careful.

OP
OP
T

thisguy1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4 small fish will be fine in a 16-gallon.
At the moment just 2 clowns and a blue strip neon goby. looking for a helfrichi firefish just thought it’d be a little too much.
I was dosing the daily recomended 3 to 4 times a day for a while before it would sit above 1ppm on its own.

I've moved on to dosing ammonium chloride but don't feel I should recomend it.

Bottom line, yes with observation of levels day to day, you can increase the dosage of neonitro to get them detectable. Make sure whatever increase ypu do to dosing is gradual, I doubled mine then trippled mine without issues, but always be careful.
Yesterday I dosed about 3ml and today dosed 6ml. But definitely gonna think about multiple times a day if I can’t detect something tomorrow

OP
OP
T

thisguy1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to double dose neophos and neonitro for multiple months before I got measurable numbers.
Yea I’m thinking of just doubling the dosage until I get measurable/desirable numbers. The only thing I’m confused on is if i finally get the parameters I want do I still dose daily, every other day, or stop

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I’m thinking of just doubling the dosage until I get measurable/desirable numbers. The only thing I’m confused on is if i finally get the parameters I want do I still dose daily, every other day, or stop
Well that may or may not be needed each tank is unique. At some point your tank will become more stable and predictable.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back