OP
OP
Mattc123

Mattc123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tested on Tuesday at 12:19pm and alk was 7.2. I tested again yesterday at 2:30 pm and it was 6.48. So I'd say yes but I'll leave that up to you for sure lol
Considering there's nothing in the tank that should be up taking that much alkalinity that is

OP
OP
Mattc123

Mattc123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might wait a day or two more, then push alk to 7 dKH while still holding off on anything to boost the pH more.
I just don't get it. I waited and the alk bottomed out at 5.39. I boosted it to 7dkh with baking soda like you said to keep the pH lower but then ended up closer to 8dkh. But like I said it's a balancing act with my CO2 scrubber trying to keep the pH at an acceptable level while I'm home. It was at 8.0 the entire time I was dosing and now after bumping up the alk I have lost an entire 1.0dkh in 24 hours again but the pH has shot up to almost 8.4 now that I'm not home. Maybe I should unhook my CO2 scrubber when I'm not home because it's raising pH TOO much? I saw the brs video that said pH 8.4 is what's best but is that what's causing my precipitation? At one point I might have to get a solenoid valve maybe. Just looking for more input. Is there a solenoid valve you recommend?
Thanks

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I think getting better control on the scrubber is desirable. There's no "need" for pH to get above the pH 7.8-8.0 range. Corals may grow faster at higher pH, but they will be fine in that range and preciptiation will be much less.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 85 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.3%
Back