Alkalinity and Calcium

MB_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

Is there any reason why the alkalinity in my tank drops everyday, but calcium stays stable? I am testing alkalinity and calcium daily, at the same time everyday, using Hannah checkers. Salinity is constant. Calcium results are very consistent, often getting the same exact result as the day before, or +/- 5ppm. I am using Seachem 2 part solution and I am only having to dose the "part 2" to maintain alkalinity since Calcium doesn't change. This has been going on for weeks.

Why am I not having any calcium consumption?

Propane

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drops or fluctuates?

Propane

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are dosing calcium and it tests the same everyday that would prolly mean you are dosing the correct amount. Yes coralline will consume calcium.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

Is there any reason why the alkalinity in my tank drops everyday, but calcium stays stable? I am testing alkalinity and calcium daily, at the same time everyday, using Hannah checkers. Salinity is constant. Calcium results are very consistent, often getting the same exact result as the day before, or +/- 5ppm. I am using Seachem 2 part solution and I am only having to dose the "part 2" to maintain alkalinity since Calcium doesn't change. This has been going on for weeks.

How big of an alk drop?

It is far easier to detect a daily alk drop than the expected amount of calcium drop.

Seachem two part is also not designed properly for 1:1 dosing despite their claims. Hard to u set stand how they messed that up.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
does growing coraline deplete calcium?

Yes, just like corals and abiotic precipitation of calcium carbonate: 18-20 ppm calcium for each 2.8 dKH of alk consumption.

OP
OP
M

MB_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are dosing calcium and it tests the same everyday that would prolly mean you are dosing the correct amount. Yes coralline will consume calcium.
I am not dosing any calcium. Only "Part 2"

OP
OP
M

MB_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big of an alk drop?

It is far easier to detect a daily alk drop than the expected amount of calcium drop.

Seachem two part is also not designed properly for 1:1 dosing despite their claims. Hard to u set stand how they messed that up.
I try to keep alkalinity at 9.5. If I don't dose anything, I usually go from 9.5 to 8.8 in 24 hours.

Propane

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like that many frags would be using calcium if they are growing. If you know they are growing then maybe your test kit is off.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello all,

What method are you testing?
Alk and CA work as a balance and reasons alk is lower can be of course coral consumption, the salt used is high in calcium or if you just added calcium prior to testing, addition of ca can lower alk level

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I try to keep alkalinity at 9.5. If I don't dose anything, I usually go from 9.5 to 8.8 in 24 hours.

It would take several days to detect a calcium drop at that rate. Then once you do, you may need to dose all those missed doses to fix it. lol

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 148 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back