Alkalinity and Coral inquirty

Drummingbaker2010

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys. I am developing a reef tank, and I am trying to find someone somewhat local to me who might be able to test my water for alkalinity levels. My other parameters are as follows:

phosphates - .25 (attempting to reduce with chemiPure Elite)
Nitrates - 5
Amonia - 0
PH - about 8.3
Nitrites - 0
Calcium is currently - 440

I am waiting to order an alkalinity test kit, and am looking to see if anyone could help in the meantime. I live in the Bethesda, Rockville, Chevy Chase Maryland Area and I can easily get to Mclean VA if there is anyone out there who might be able to help me out. I am also looking to purchase a small frag of Pulsing/Pumping Xenia if anyone has one for sale, I'm open to it, or a snail or some animal with some Coraline algae on it to help me boost its growth. If anyone has any of the above for sale, please let me know what you want for it, and I'm up for making a deal. Please let me know. Thanks
Hey guys. I am developing a reef tank, and I am trying to find someone somewhat local to me who might be able to test my water for alkalinity levels. My other parameters are as follows:

phosphates - .25 (attempting to reduce with chemiPure Elite)
Nitrates - 5 or less
Amonia - 0
PH - about 8.3
Nitrites - 0
Calcium is currently - 440

I am waiting to order an alkalinity test kit, and am looking to see if anyone could help in the meantime. I live in the Bethesda, Rockville, Chevy Chase Maryland Area and I can easily get to Mclean VA if there is anyone out there who might be able to help me out. I am also looking to purchase a small frag of Pulsing/Pumping Xenia if anyone has one for sale, I'm open to it, or a snail or some animal with some Coraline algae on it to help me boost its growth. If anyone has any of the above for sale, please let me know what you want for it, and I'm up for making a deal. Please let me know. I am also looking to see if anyone has any Pumping Xenia frags that might be for sale also. Thanks

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A fish store would likely test your alk for you, maybe even for free. Looks like there is a place called Tropical Lagoon.

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish you lived here. I could give you some of my xenia so I don't have to throw cuttings away. If it dies I can give you some more and if that dies I can give you some more and if that dies...

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a look on facebook for local groups. There are multiple ones in my area. You could find out more about local stuff there and maybe get some free or cheap xenia.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
IMHO - you're going to need a test kit - is there a reason you're ordering one - especially if adding coral?

And also - unless you've added fish, etc etc etc - if your other parameters are ok - your alkalinity should be similar to what it started out at when you mixed your salt. Especially if your pH is 8.3. (Which is great).

OP
OP
D

Drummingbaker2010

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMHO - you're going to need a test kit - is there a reason you're ordering one - especially if adding coral?

And also - unless you've added fish, etc etc etc - if your other parameters are ok - your alkalinity should be similar to what it started out at when you mixed your salt. Especially if your pH is 8.3. (Which is great).
I do have a GSP and yes I am planning to add more coral which is my reason for testing my Alkalinity. I am using Instant Ocean brand sea salt mix. I don't recall what it said the alkalinity is on that brand, but I know that they can be unevenly mixed.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They sell corals but don't test the alk in their systems? That's suspect.

So is measuring calcium and not alk. It indicates a lack of understanding what is most important.

OP
OP
D

Drummingbaker2010

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So is measuring calcium and not alk. It indicates a lack of understanding what is most important.
I found a local place that will test my alk. I'm going to have it checked later today. I don't have any corals yet that really rely on it at the moment, but that's my ultimate goal asap. My calcium is at 440 right now, I heard between 400-600 is ideal, and I have a GSP which is photosynthetic, and I'm still waiting on coraline algae to bloom, I just want to make sure my parameters are good where they are now so i can maintain them in the future. I'm sure you can understand that.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good deal. Alk is important for stony corals. Soft corals and fish, unless it's extreme, won't create about alk.

Instant Ocean, since you asked, will mix up in the 9-11 range.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what do you do to keep it down if it gets high?
If your display alkalinity is too high, the only good options are to let it come down on its own or do a water change with a lower alk salt mix.

The only way alk should become dangerously high is from an overdose of alk supplement or 'buffer'.

Mine doesn't get too high, as I only dose with limewater and do weekly 5% water changes.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 26.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 32.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.4%
Back