Alkalinity Consumption Help

Aaron Atkinson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. I've been really struggling with making sense of my alkalinity consumption. A little bit on the system. It's a 50 gallon display with a 29 gallon sump.

• 60 gallons total water volume
  • combined carbon/GFO reactor
  • top off water has 5 tsp kalkwasser per 5 gallons of water
  • About 40 lbs of live rock and about a box and a half of those ceramic bio sphere balls in the sump
  • Nitrate is always zero
  • Phosphates basically zero on the meter
  • Magnesium runs about 1380 ppm
  • pH hovers between 7.9 - 8.1 using a CO2 scrubber on the skimmer air intake line
  • I have 8 small corals and five (5) fish
I am currently running just at 7 dKH and adding roughly 3.25 dKH (140 mL BRS recipe) per day to maintain a stable alkalinity. It doesn't make any sense. I suppose I have calcification going on because my pumps freeze every 2-3 months. My idea is to just stop dosing for about a week and let things get coated with whatever...

So I took same data on consumption at various starting alkalinity. I confirmed that consumption drops as alkalinity increases. Here is the chart. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
upload_2017-3-17_14-15-17.png

OP
OP
Aaron Atkinson

Aaron Atkinson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So as far as my situation goes, how do I stop the need to dose way more than this trend to maintain alkalinity?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back