Alkalinity Dosing

  • Thread starter Thread starter Jarrito
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Jarrito

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
May 17, 2021
Messages
67
Reaction score
8
Location
Modesto
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, I'm wondering if I should start dosing alkalinity because it has dropped from 8dkh to 7 dkh in 2 days. I only have 2 clowns in my tank right now, no coral or any other livestock. I am worried though because I just ordered a nice hammer and some xenia. Should I start dosing? And how do I start if so? it seems my water changes can't keep up with the alk being consumed. Also why would it drop since I don't have anything in there?
 
How old is the tank? Do you have much coralline?

If not, I'd remeasure and check the fresh saltwater. Sounds likely to be test error or test kit error
 
Hi guys, I'm wondering if I should start dosing alkalinity because it has dropped from 8dkh to 7 dkh in 2 days. I only have 2 clowns in my tank right now, no coral or any other livestock. I am worried though because I just ordered a nice hammer and some xenia. Should I start dosing? And how do I start if so? it seems my water changes can't keep up with the alk being consumed. Also why would it drop since I don't have anything in there?

There is nothing in your tank to consume significant Alkalinity so I suspect either a shift in Salinity or a measurement error.

Measure some freshly mixed saltwater and check against that.
 
Hi guys, I'm wondering if I should start dosing alkalinity because it has dropped from 8dkh to 7 dkh in 2 days. I only have 2 clowns in my tank right now, no coral or any other livestock. I am worried though because I just ordered a nice hammer and some xenia. Should I start dosing? And how do I start if so? it seems my water changes can't keep up with the alk being consumed. Also why would it drop since I don't have anything in there?
When nitrate increases, alkalinity decreases. Test nitrate and see if it has increased since your last recorded measurement.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 11 44.0%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 7 28.0%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new