No skimmer.

Test at 9.8 dKh
Two weeks later, water change.
Test at 9.4 dKh.
Two weeks later, no water change.
Test at 9.9 dKh.

I DO dose NaNO3 to keep nitrates up.

Over the last few weeks I raised nitrates to 10 ppm

Last test they were slightly below 5 ppm.

Is this a case of bacteria processing nitrates and returning Alk back into the water?

I'm really puzzled.

I'm not dosing anything.

My ATO if filled with zero TDS RODI.

My fresh salt mix water tests at 8.something dKH.

J.

spidercrab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might just be testing error. What test are you using? many of them arent very exact and .5dkh isnt a large difference on most of them. In my opinion I would just average those 3 results and say your DKH has probably been about 9.7 all along.

OP
OP
J

jurgenph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'm testing with hanna Alk tester.
i'm pretty sure it's not testing error.
my other tank tests as expected, and my freshly mixed up water tests as expected too.

J.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 above... I had the same problem when I had to dose nitrates to keep them up.

OP
OP
J

jurgenph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Consumption of nitrate raises alk. That’s the likely source.

+1 above... I had the same problem when I had to dose nitrates to keep them up.

so basically, i need to wait until the livestock in this tank starts growing and outcompete the bacteria for nitrates? :)

looks like i need to start stocking more LOL :)

thanks folks!

J.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so basically, i need to wait until the livestock in this tank starts growing and outcompete the bacteria for nitrates? :)

looks like i need to start stocking more LOL :)

thanks folks!

J.

Any organism taking up nitrate adds alkalinity. Corals, bacteria, algae, etc.

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1573607075193.gif

All I know is I have to dose Alk or it drops, and I had to dose even before I started putting SPS in the tank. Would that be a thing only if you were actually dosing nitrates?

Justfebreezeit

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also since the water volume is so small maybe the slight swing in salinity from in between when the ATO finally gets tripped might play a roll

1573607075193.gif

All I know is I have to dose Alk or it drops, and I had to dose even before I started putting SPS in the tank. Would that be a thing only if you were actually dosing nitrates?

Coralline is a good consumer of Alk if you have that growing, other than that maybe? Could be a few different reasons i'd imagine.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1573607075193.gif

no, many organisms and abiotic precipitation of calcium carbonate consume alk. Dosing nitrate adds alk, it doesn’t deplete it.

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could it be due to rising phosphate levels? I base that on the fact that running GFO reduces alk, so by similar reasoning perhaps rising phosphate levels could be the cause of rising alk?

I have a new tank starting up at the moment and my alk is also very slowly increasing without dosing any alk. My phosphate levels are rising, however, which I think may be causing this, but not sure.

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could it be due to rising phosphate levels? I base that on the fact that running GFO reduces alk, so by similar reasoning perhaps rising phosphate levels could be the cause of rising alk?

I have a new tank starting up at the moment and my alk is also very slowly increasing without dosing any alk. My phosphate levels are rising, however, which I think may be causing this, but not sure.

Ahh that makes sense. I use a product called Phosguard in my nano to remove phosphates. Not sure if I still need this all the time, but I’ve been really hesitant to change anything as my tank is doing great!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

phosphate addition and consumption does not generally impact alkalinity since what it adds when you add it is taken out when it is used. But true if nitrate. You’d need huge phosphate levels for it to be a substantial part of measured alk.

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
phosphate addition and consumption does not generally impact alkalinity since what it adds when you add it is taken out when it is used. But true if nitrate. You’d need huge phosphate levels for it to be a substantial part of measured alk.

I see. So then when GFO reduces alk that is not due to the reduction in phosphate? Or is it but the correlation only goes one way? Thanks

Acros

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I am seeing Alk rising in my tank. I use a Hanna checker. I added chaeto at the stating of this. I have not seen a lot of growth anyway. My phosphates are at 0.07ppm, Nitrates between 0 and 0.5ppm. I do not have any corals in the tank now (I had a mass dieoff about 2 weeks back). The tank is 3 months old. I do not dose anything. I do 10% water changes every week using instant ocean reef crystals.

Alkalinity (dkh) vs. Date.png

Edit: Is it safe to add corals in a week or two? Ph is 8.0

Last edited:

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am seeing Alk rising in my tank. I use a Hanna checker. I added chaeto at the stating of this. I have not seen a lot of growth anyway. My phosphates are at 0.07ppm, Nitrates between 0 and 0.5ppm. I do not have any corals in the tank now (I had a mass dieoff about 2 weeks back). The tank is 3 months old. I do not dose anything. I do 10% water changes every week using instant ocean reef crystals.
Alkalinity (dkh) vs. Date.png

I was having this issue as well with instant ocean salt it was mixing at 1.026 salinity and dkh at 16 but I used tap water + instant ocean . ( now use only lfs saltwater as mixing salt creates too much for me , 1600 Mg , 500 Calc and 16 dkh)

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back