0   0   0
This is the current test
N 3
Po4 0.04
Calcium 500
Magnesium 1410
Dkh 8.6
Salinity 1.026
I had a friend bring his test kits to verify and his were almost identical. They have not moved at all in weeks. Didn't want to do a water change because I use reef crystals and has such a high alkalinity. If I wait it out I'm worried about the tips on more acros. I have noticed the edge of the new growth starting to bleach.

NanoDJS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is your flow ?, Have things grown in alot ? Old established tank , general system info?

OP
OP
J

Johnny bass07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 mp40s turned down half way. The tank has been set up for couple of years but moved and cleaned about 6 months ago. Same live rock. Some acros are growing good at the base and coloring up. Most of the acros have been in the tank 2-3 months.

OP
OP
J

Johnny bass07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay guys. I have more sps with tip burn. About half of them now including some of my favorites. Waiting it out is bot working. Alk still the same. Should I get some salt with low alk and do some water changes and try to maybe reset this thing?

OP
OP
J

Johnny bass07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. That's why I reduced the lights to begin with thinking it might be burning the tips. I do think reducing the lights stop the growth. My tank was too clean for the higher alk. Since I have been dosing phosphates and nitrates the corals are starting to recover and I can see new growth but the alk still haven't budged. Neither has calcium or mag. The problem now is starting to get a little algae growing. I'm dosing 6ml a day of phosphate. Every morning I check it it is barely detectable and I haven't run the skimmer in a weak. I guess my cheato is eating it up.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy, I am curious about the relationship. Is a higher alk a problem in low nutrient systems?

high alk and low nutrients can lead to burnt tips in some SPS. A likely theory to explain it is that the skeleton grows faster than the tissue can keep up, so it gets thin and easily damaged.

OP
OP
J

Johnny bass07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely not growth. It now has brown algae growing on it. Good thing is it has stopped. I just need to get this alk down. I think I'm going to buy some salt with some low alk and do some water changes.

Worthy1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure why you feel the Alk needs to drop. It is well within an acceptable range and a .3dkh swing would not burn the tips. I would be getting the calcium down. It is at an elevated range comparable to the Alk not at an elevated range.

OP
OP
J

Johnny bass07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8.4-8.7 dkh with 0 nutrients I believe caused the burnt tips. When I raised the nutrients they stopped burning and I can see them healing. I feel like I if I can get it around 7.5 it won't be an issue if the nutrients get low

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure why you feel the Alk needs to drop. It is well within an acceptable range and a .3dkh swing would not burn the tips. I would be getting the calcium down. It is at an elevated range comparable to the Alk not at an elevated range.
The calcium is fine, IMO, and I have never seen high levels of calcium blamed for causing burnt tips.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious how you’re testing alk? I am now using a trident and it measures 8.5, but if test using hanna it’s 9.7 ... which to believe? My point, perhaps your alk is actually higher than you think.

OP
OP
J

Johnny bass07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's an update. My alkalinity has been dropping finally. My corals were recovering nicely but in the last week more burned tips and the edge where the base has new growth that has stopped and is now slowly dying back. My calcium is 450 and magnesium is 1350. Here's how the alk has been droppingover the last five days.
Day1 8.0
Day2 7.9
Day3 7.8
Dat4 7.7
Day 5 7.6
Would this drop cause more of the tips to burn?
Also how much alk should I dose to hold it at 7.5 with 2 part with a volume of 65 gallons? I will be dosing with a dosing pump.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 82 87.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back