Alkalinity Levels

ReefDaddyz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a question about alkalinity. My system is fairly new I have a RS Reefer 170 it has 6 fish and a few smaller pieces of coral. My Alk sits at 7.2 and has always been there. I’m using Fritz Blue box salt and have an RODI setup. I’m going to test the Alk of the water I’m changing next time to see where it sits at.

My question is should I dose something to get it at 8-9 then just monitor it weekly or just let it sit around 7.2?

MarshallB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Monitor it. What is the ALK in your freshly mixed water? I only started with a few lps frags, but once coralline algae started to take off I had to start dosing 2 part. As long as its over 7 you should be fine. 7.2 is pretty close though.

I was having some pretty wild PH swings, so boosting alk to around 9 has reduced my swings.

Fiesty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest dosing Kalk on even intervals all day and night at an amount just under your daily evaporation level. for an example, I do this in my 200 gallon system once every hour for a total of just over 1 gallon per each day. I mix to max saturation for my system (I have lots of corals and clams) but u could start with a half rate of kalk mixed in RODI water and see how your system handles it? Then adjust accordingly and as your needs change. This also doubles as an auto top off for most part and then i just run a simple line from RODI to float to make up any additional water needs. Has been a simple and reliable system for me for many years.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a question about alkalinity. My system is fairly new I have a RS Reefer 170 it has 6 fish and a few smaller pieces of coral. My Alk sits at 7.2 and has always been there. I’m using Fritz Blue box salt and have an RODI setup. I’m going to test the Alk of the water I’m changing next time to see where it sits at.

My question is should I dose something to get it at 8-9 then just monitor it weekly or just let it sit around 7.2?

I believe there is no set level to keep the tank at apart from a base level of 7kh, seems from my research you pick a number and try and keep it there, depending on your salt level of KH will determine what lvl may be easier to keep the tank at.

OP
OP
R

ReefDaddyz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Monitor it. What is the ALK in your freshly mixed water? I only started with a few lps frags, but once coralline algae started to take off I had to start dosing 2 part. As long as its over 7 you should be fine. 7.2 is pretty close though.

I was having some pretty wild PH swings, so boosting alk to around 9 has reduced my swings.
I haven’t checked the new batch yet I will this weekend. I have been doing 10% weekly. My pH seems to be stable but I don’t check all the time. I know that Alk will buffer pH to keep it up.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t checked the new batch yet I will this weekend. I have been doing 10% weekly. My pH seems to be stable but I don’t check all the time. I know that Alk will buffer pH to keep it up.

I thought it was the other way around? More KH lower ph?

this is a topic I’m just getting into myself so following.

OP
OP
R

ReefDaddyz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

From what I have seen if your pH starts to drop Alk will act like a buffer to raise it up and keep it there so now your Alk will start to drop. There is a video on this I will try to find and post it here.

MarshallB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It depends on how you boost your alkalinity. Dosing Soda Ash will raise PH and help buffer it. I was falling below 8 before I started dosing, now I never fall below 8.1.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back