Alkalinity question

Roloilly

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I set up a new tank that will be a mix reef. My alkalinity has been in the range of 8-8.5 dkh reading from the Apex Trident. I was told to try to keep DKH at a level of 9. It seems that if I dose and raise my levels to 9 the next day they're back down to 8.5. If I don't dose anything they pretty much stay at 8.5. Should i be seeking the numbers or just let it stay at 8.5? Right now I don't have and corals in the tank.

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With nothing in the tank I wouldn't be trying to achieve the higher number. And most reefers would tell you that your 8.5 is about right where you want, some shoot for even lower at the range of natural sea water which is approximatley 6.5 ( Corrected ) thanks

Last edited:

Reeferbadness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep both my display tanks at around 9.0 dKH - that way if one of the dosing lines either runs out or get's clogged and i don't test for 2 or 3 days, it won't dip below 7 or so. My $0.02

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With nothing in the tank I wouldn't be trying to achieve the higher number. And most reefers would tell you that your 8.5 is about right where you want, some shoot for even lower at the range of natural sea water which is approximatley 7.5
NSW has an average alk of 6.5 for reference. I keep all my tanks at 7.
For OP you should know what alk to run before setting up your system. You will get many different opinions on this so?

OP
OP
R

Roloilly

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep both my display tanks at around 9.0 dKH - that way if one of the dosing lines either runs out or get's clogged and i don't test for 2 or 3 days, it won't dip below 7 or so. My $0.02
What I don't understand is I have no corals so no consumption. If I leave it alone it stay pretty much stable if I dose to get it too 9 then it drops overnight back down. So I'm confused is usage based on consumption or does it just precipitate out. My calcium stay pretty much at 430 without much movement hence no corals bit why does the alkalinity do this.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I don't understand is I have no corals so no consumption. If I leave it alone it stay pretty much stable if I dose to get it too 9 then it drops overnight back down. So I'm confused is usage based on consumption or does it just precipitate out. My calcium stay pretty much at 430 without much movement hence no corals bit why does the alkalinity do this.
Alk gets used by corals, you really have no reason to dose.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So why does it keep dropping when I dose to get it to 9

Rising nitrate? Other consuming organisms? Abiotic precipitation of calcium carbonate?

Could be any or all of those.

your alk drop is too small to see the calcium drop that might accompany it.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 35.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.7%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 30 27.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.6%
Back