Alkalinity stability Evo 13.5

Twoddler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out of curiosity how do you small tank owners keep your alk levels stable, I have a 220 gal and dose 2 part alk is usually stable around 8
My Evo 13.5 on the other hand fluctuates, waterchanges make little difference even 20% wk, I dont realy want to add a doser
Anyone experimented with mixing Kalkwasser in there ato?

jackalexander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out of curiosity how do you small tank owners keep your alk levels stable, I have a 220 gal and dose 2 part alk is usually stable around 8
My Evo 13.5 on the other hand fluctuates, waterchanges make little difference even 20% wk, I dont realy want to add a doser
Weekly water changes does the job for me, stable around 8.5 and fluctuates either + or - 0.02 each week. I have tons of LPS and a minimal amount of SPS.

Sarcazian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My bigger issue is PH and I need to start dosing 2 part or just soda ash to try compensating. I would be curious what others are seeing in their Evo since my has been stuck at 7.6-7.8 for about 4 month. Maybe switch from IO Reef Crystals if that is the issue?

My issue is not related to room CO2.

lazy josh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weekly water changes does the job for me, stable around 8.5 and fluctuates either + or - 0.02 each week. I have tons of LPS and a minimal amount of SPS.
What salt do you use for your water changes?
Id like to keep my alk at that level as well and have the same plans for mostly Lps and a few sps in the future.

OP
OP
Twoddler

Twoddler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What salt do you use for your water changes?
Id like to keep my alk at that level as well and have the same plans for mostly Lps and a few sps in the future.
I,m using Aquaforest reef salt, I am thinking of changing, just that my lfs always has stock

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

12g mixed reef exclusively using Kalkwasser/RO mix in a gravity fed ATO (modified 'pet bottle'). No mechanicals and no electronics, so arguably the most reliable method. Naturally, some seasonal adjustment is required due to changes in the evaporation rate. 12+ years and still working great :)

OP
OP
Twoddler

Twoddler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
12g mixed reef exclusively using Kalkwasser/RO mix in a gravity fed ATO (modified 'pet bottle'). No mechanicals and no electronics, so arguably the most reliable method. Naturally, some seasonal adjustment is required due to changes in the evaporation rate. 12+ years and still working great :)
This is the method I'm probably going to try, I,ll need to do some research and experimenting.
Do you have your own recipe or buy off the shelf

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the method I'm probably going to try, I,ll need to do some research and experimenting.
Do you have your own recipe or buy off the shelf

The classic Kalkwasser (aka 'Limewater' in English) is calcium hydroxide (most common) or calcium oxide mixed thoroughly with R/0 water to produce a saturated solution (~2 tsp. Kalk/gal.). I let the solution sit undisturbed in a sealed glass container for 2-3 days and then siphon off the clear solution only. Then this gets mixed with R/O water in the ratio needed to keep my alkalinity/calcium levels stable for my system.

Kalkwasser is a great solution if pH in a system is chronically low. In 4 decades of reef keeping with kalkwasser, I've never had a pH reading below 8.0 dKh (8.2 - 8.3 dKh is typical).

These are the bottles that I use, but without the black plastic shroud I use for esthetics (the only modification to the bottles when new is the removal of two stainless steel balls present in the spouts):

untitled.png

Lasts about 5-6 days, depending on tank evaporation.

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back