Alkalinity VERY HIGH

Jaiden73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have done this however the skimmer is still foaming badly but overflowing a little bit slower
Turn it off. It could be a small block. Clean it and then try again if does not work I have Bubble Magus Curve 5 I can give you. Works perfect. I have sca-303 so I'm fine. No charge, I'm just want there tanks to have what they need to run properly.

OP
OP
Chris444

Chris444

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turn it off. It could be a small block. Clean it and then try again if does not work I have Bubble Magus Curve 5 I can give you. Works perfect. I have sca-303 so I'm fine. No charge, I'm just want there tanks to have what they need to run properly.
I am just now leaving for 2-3 days(work) my wife is going to look after the tank but I dont think she'll be able to take the skimmer apart and clean it. So I will do it right after I am back and let you know how its doing. Thanks a lot

Jaiden73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just make sure you tell her the need to be right it goes to line. Like when get a new one you always start near the flow keep even sh should be fine. I can take pic and show where the line is.

joeyamador

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The skimmer is pulling out all the dead coral tissue, that's why its black and smelly. The white stuff is precipitation. And will go away with water changes.
Also if you didn't wash the carbon enough it will cause the skimmed material to be even darker.. remember to always wash till it runs clear for multiple health reasons.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IF:

(1) This is your first tank.
(2) The tank is only 3 months old.
(3) You're thinking about getting out of the hobby.

THEN:

You have not given yourself enough time to make such a determination (about continuing on in the hobby).

As has been previously mentioned, you have accelerated the process. And I would agree that you have far too much going on in such a young tank. It lacks the stability to thrive. Remember in this hobby, "nothing good happens fast". Slow and steady wins the race.

This isn't to say that this is a race, but to illustrate that going slow is pretty much agreed upon in the hobby. There are methods to accelerate the process. But I believe that these methods are better suited for the experienced aquarist.

A tank failure of this magnitude requires retreating and regrouping. And if in your position, my preference would be a complete tear down and rebuild. Is this necessary? Probably not, but I would.

You have not talked about how the tank is stocked. Can you rehome the fish temporarily to a RubberMade bin until you get things in order?

Please try and remember that there are many things we can own in life spontaneously. But a thriving reef tank is not one of them. Unlike a new 60" flat panel TV, you can't take a reef tank out of the box, plug it in and enjoy.

Think of your reef tank as more of a garden; something that is assembled and nurtured until it matures into a place of beautiful colors and aromatic blends.

Dom

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
15582282665772364137782365915920.jpg

15582283083056795651324797816948.jpg

The white stuff doesn't look like precipitation to me, but more like bacteria.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back