OP
OP
Chris444

Chris444

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To elaborate on what Tuan said, 90% of PH issues are CO2 exchange issues. If your Alk is in the normal range and you still have low PH increase Oxygen. He was dead on with the open window or pull in air from the outside. I just read that a tank with ferns next to it saw a very healthy PH upward swing due to the plant converting the CO2 to Oxygen.

I would do a few water changes as big as you can and see how things respond. I would then do a test of PH then open a window near the tank for a few hours and retest and see if you see an increase.

I too had PH issues( 7.7-7.8 )but for mine it turned out I had ALK that was like 5.8 DKH. Once I raised it to 8.5-9 DKH , PH is now constantly in the 8.1-8.2 range.

Also, stay away from PH buffer, it's the devil.

I am trying to do as much as can with the water changes. Is there any frequency I have to follow not to do too much in a quick time? I mean like how much I should wait between water changes?

scriptmonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am trying to do as much as can with the water changes. Is there any frequency I have to follow not to do too much in a quick time? I mean like how much I should wait between water changes?
Good question. How big can you do water changes at one time? What do you have left in the tank?

OP
OP
Chris444

Chris444

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good question. How big can you do water changes at one time? What do you have left in the tank?
Currently I can do 20 gallons at a time. But I will try do get some more containers

Whats left is
Condy anemone
Xenia
Clown cucumber
2 clownfish
Firefish
Cleaner shrimp
Snails and crabs

scriptmonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do 20 today, 20 tomorrow and check your alk and see where you are at. I'm guessing about 11 DKH which is at the high end of the OK range. I would see where you are at and them maybe do a couple of 10's a few days apart. Again this is what I would do. Never had this issue so calling in the superstars #reefsquad

OP
OP
Chris444

Chris444

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do 20 today, 20 tomorrow and check your alk and see where you are at. I'm guessing about 11 DKH which is at the high end of the OK range. I would see where you are at and them maybe do a couple of 10's a few days apart. Again this is what I would do. Never had this issue so calling in the superstars #reefsquad

And thats exactly what I am going to do, hoping things will get better. I'll get some updates tommorrow.
Thanks for the help and advice!

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you actually checked the alk on a fresh salt mix? I know they say 9 but it could be higher.

Dave Garrett

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a dosing pump screw up and my ALK got up to 13.2... Nothing in my mixed reef tank was bothered but the 3 Chalices... They melted completely away... I saw a Utube video of Mike Palletta and Sanja just a few days after this happened in my tank and Sanja say he has had his ALK as high as 15 and only the Chalices cared... They started to melt.... I just did 10% water changes every 2 days till I got it back down.... My Hammers and Frogspawn and nothing else show any adverse effects

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Match temp and salinity. Do a 20 gallon water change, 4 days in a row. This is will change out some of the bad water but not 80 gallons as old will mix in each time. Once your Alk gets down to 9 to 10 in the tank, do a large water change if you can to remove as much of that bad water as you can. Carbon will help clean the water of some stuff. The water should have high nitrates from the coral die off. Which makes me suspect your nitrate test results. If the water changes do not help with the clouds then it is more likely bacterial. (are the fish having a hard time breathing?) Besides carbon people have had good success with UV sterilizers.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chris444

Chris444

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Match temp and salinity. Do a 20 gallon water change, 4 days in a row. This is will change out some of the bad water but not 80 gallons as old will mix in each time. Once your Alk gets down to 9 to 10 in the tank, do a large water change if you can to remove as much of that bad water as you can. Carbon will help clean the water of some stuff. The water should have high nitrates from the coral die off. Which makes me suspect your nitrate test results. If the water changes do not help with the clouds then it is more likely bacterial. (are the fish having a hard time breathing?) Besides carbon people have had good success with UV sterilizers.
I have got a UV sterilizer which doesnt seem to help much.
I think all of my fish are not doing bad, they came out from the rocks after some water change, they are eating fine and I didnt notice any heavy breathing.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
DKH acceptable. Something spoiled or leeched to raise levels. I would do a water change, add carbon and stop dosing for 72 hours and retest to see where levels are at

Jaiden73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water change. Even though it will bring down. It's doing cycle for some reason. What about your Ammonia? Did you test you test that because pH and Ammonia are first to go as the tank established.

Jaiden73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are interested I do have a salinity impurity guide. I use Instant Ocean I think is best.

OP
OP
Chris444

Chris444

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for late update.
Thinks are looking better now.
I have done some water changes following @scriptmonkey advice on the amount and frequency. The water is completly clear now. The skimmate stopped being black and it is light brown now however the skimmer is producing a lot of foam and overflowing, but I am keep emptying it hoping it will stop soon.
The Alkalinity is exatcly 12 dkh.
Other parameters:
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0
Phosphate 0
Calcium 440
Magnesium 1300
Ph 8.2
Thanks all for the help!!

15584607043029103624823001423323.jpg

Jaiden73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lower the flow rate and the bring it down to the entry level that might slow it down.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 13 81.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

• Other.

Back