alkalinty question

Nmaran72

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently seen a decline in alkalinity, it dropped to 7dkh. I want to raise it with esv 2 part. can I use just the alk once I reached desired level or do I need to dose calcium with the alk even though my calcium is at 440. It's confusing to me. Can someone help me

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently seen a decline in alkalinity, it dropped to 7dkh. I want to raise it with esv 2 part. can I use just the alk once I reached desired level or do I need to dose calcium with the alk even though my calcium is at 440. It's confusing to me. Can someone help me

Just dose up your alk.

You dose to how much water your truly holding, but it will take a bit of time to figure that out.
Try the below and pick esv for your alk.

How old is your reef?

Last edited:

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
22 months old. I am starting to see the coralline algae go white and I'm seeing corals not happy

If you have acros they do not like alk swings.

Dose up your alk, then see how your much, alk, and cal drops per day to lock into their daily doses.

It may take 4 to 5 days with trial and error but you will find the right dose for each.

Also, if your nitrates have risen of late, your alk will go down from the nitrogen cycle using up alk with higher nitrates.

Test your phosphates and nitrates too.

FWIW:
The new Hanna phos ULR PPM checker is good for phosphates, like Salifert and NYOS for testing nitrates.

OP
OP
Nmaran72

Nmaran72

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have acros they do not like alk swings.

Dose up your alk, then see how your much, alk, and cal drops per day to lock into their daily doses.

It may take 4 to 5 days with trial and error but you will find the right dose for each.

Also, if your nitrates have risen of late, your alk will go down from the nitrogen cycle using up alk with higher nitrates.

Test your phosphates and nitrates too.

FWIW:
The new Hanna phos ULR PPM checker is good for phosphates, like Salifert and NYOS for testing nitrates.
I've always been battling high nitrates and phosphates. I have not packed the tank because of the fear or crashing and now I got an algae bloom that is driving me nuts . I do weekly 10% water changes and it continues to grow. i cut back on feeding and still no change. I'm at my last wits before restarting

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always been battling high nitrates and phosphates. I have not packed the tank because of the fear or crashing and now I got an algae bloom that is driving me nuts . I do weekly 10% water changes and it continues to grow. i cut back on feeding and still no change. I'm at my last wits before restarting

Are you running a RO/DI unit (with a built-in TDS meter) for all the water you use, including top off water?

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100% rodi

Well,
Been running (pond size) Siporax for nitrates in my sump, while tumbling gfo in its own reactor for phosphates.

Either way, take it real slow and do not let those two parameters bottom out, or your corals will starve and dinos will take hold.

Add some bio-media or look into running a remote deep sand bed.

A big clean up crew could help as well.

OP
OP
Nmaran72

Nmaran72

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well,
Been running (pond size) Siporax for nitrates in my sump, while tumbling gfo in its own reactor for phosphates.

Either way, take it real slow and do not let those two parameters bottom out, or your corals will starve and dinos will take hold.

Add some bio-media or look into running a remote deep sand bed.

A big clean up crew could help as well.
thanks for the input

sagedrake690

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I been experimenting with tap water. Aside from gram positive metals and a few things that can be removed with carbon and a toxin locker pad. Tap has a perfect combination of minerals (at least here in edmond OK and they say this water is bad) for coral. Its got a 550-450 cal and 1400-1500 mag. Alk is 30ish. I been experimenting with treating tap without a rodi unit. To lower alkalinity, use chestnut wine tannins. Tannic acid. The deeper the color, the more the ph swing. In high concentrations tannic acid is around 6 and can be removed from water with carbon.you can boil tap water to concentrate the minerals and dose tap to corals for calc and mag. Im poor and cannot afford the other kits but they are next on my test and experiment list!!!

Back