Alkatronic and All For Reef?

beesnreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please go easy on me as I'm still very much learning...

Recently won a giveaway and am getting an Alkatronic, along with a HYDROS Control 4, for my 65 gallon AIO mixed reef. I currently utilize the Balling method, manually dosing AF Component 1+, 2+, and 3+ every morning.

I realize the Alkatronic includes a single dosing pump to dose alkalinity and maintain dKH. A thought I had was to switch from Balling to TM All For Reef and have the Alkatronic automatically dose that according to its test results.

Is this feasible? Good/bad idea?

Anyone have experience doing this?

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please go easy on me as I'm still very much learning...

Recently won a giveaway and am getting an Alkatronic, along with a HYDROS Control 4, for my 65 gallon AIO mixed reef. I currently utilize the Balling method, manually dosing AF Component 1+, 2+, and 3+ every morning.

I realize the Alkatronic includes a single dosing pump to dose alkalinity and maintain dKH. A thought I had was to switch from Balling to TM All For Reef and have the Alkatronic automatically dose that according to its test results.

Is this feasible? Good/bad idea?

Anyone have experience doing this?

It would work BUT that method is a lot more money then the other dosing/2 part methods. But if you're ok with that, then it's fine.

OP
OP
beesnreefs

beesnreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would work BUT that method is a lot more money then the other dosing/2 part methods. But if you're ok with that, then it's fine.
It could work, though?

For example, say I have the alkalinity at 8.0 when I install the Alkatronic. I'm envisioning programming it to keep it at 8.0 and testing every 4-6 hours. My thinking is, I'll hook the built in dosing pump to a container of All For Reef so whenever the Alkatronic makes a corrective dose, it is dosing equal parts dKH, Calc, Mag, and trace elements.

It's not a huge tank (only 65 gallons) and not fully packed with coral - right now I'm dosing 6 mL, once a day, of each of Component 1+, 2+, and 3+ and All For Reef is twice as concentrated, right?

So this could work....??

Chris Spaulding

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use AFR on my tank RedSea Reefer 250 about 60 gallons total. I like the staff as it is easy to do . However I do not think using it in conjunction with an Alkatroinc would work as intended . Why ? Because AFR takes time to works in conjunction with bacteria and not chemical. Where most 2 part is more of a chemical reaction. I could be wrong but this is my understanding.

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could work, though?

For example, say I have the alkalinity at 8.0 when I install the Alkatronic. I'm envisioning programming it to keep it at 8.0 and testing every 4-6 hours. My thinking is, I'll hook the built in dosing pump to a container of All For Reef so whenever the Alkatronic makes a corrective dose, it is dosing equal parts dKH, Calc, Mag, and trace elements.

It's not a huge tank (only 65 gallons) and not fully packed with coral - right now I'm dosing 6 mL, once a day, of each of Component 1+, 2+, and 3+ and All For Reef is twice as concentrated, right?

So this could work....??

It would for sure work.

It doses Alk, cal, and mag, and a few trace. I think there's another trace product that needs added occasionally with it though.

Saltees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use AFR on my tank RedSea Reefer 250 about 60 gallons total. I like the staff as it is easy to do . However I do not think using it in conjunction with an Alkatroinc would work as intended . Why ? Because AFR takes time to works in conjunction with bacteria and not chemical. Where most 2 part is more of a chemical reaction. I could be wrong but this is my understanding.
That’s my concern with dosing AFR, I’m leaning towards dosing Kalkwasser instead. Primary needs taken care of by Calcium Reactor though. What are your thoughts?

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using AFR successfully since May on my tank controlled by the Trident. So...should be same concept and I don't see why it wouldn't work to be honest.

SliceGolfer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soda Ash and All for Reef do not work the same. Testing an hour or two after adding soda ash will show a difference in Alk. All for Reef needs longer time to raise Alk, which is why TM suggests testing 24 hours later. If it were me, I wouldn’t risk over dosing Alk automatically. Best of luck on whatever you choose.

PegasisR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest keeping it on a separate doser. Reason being is AFR is meant to keep levels in place and not to raise/correct Alk. For sure it will work as a means to stabilize the big 3 but not for correction dosing

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could work, though?

So this could work....??

I do not recommend this, and neither does Tropic Marin.

They recommend dosing based on calcium since the alk showing up by titration is not immediate, and maybe not effective at all if, as Lou claims, corals use most of the formate directly rather than after it is converted to alkalinity.

OP
OP
beesnreefs

beesnreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

They recommend dosing based on calcium since the alk showing up by titration is not immediate, and maybe not effective at all if, as Lou claims, corals use most of the formate directly rather than after it is converted to alkalinity.

Thanks, @Randy Holmes-Farley. Since I originally posted that I did a lot more research and came to the same conclusion. In the end I decided to pull the trigger on the Dosetronic as well and intend to link it to Alkatronic and continue with the Balling method (using Aquaforest's Component 1+, 2+, 3+) via the Dosetronic

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What if using kalkwasser (via dosing pump) as main alk source, all the way to daily evaporation limit, then add AFR in alkatronic as supplement to satisfy the rest? If the alk in formate is directly used by coral, then less alk from kalk will be consume, so the kalk dose will still push the reading up for next test, will it?

Jack Mammon Bifrons

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this couldn't work atall or?
I was just about to ask this question before i found this thread, i remembered the product ALL FOR REEF and immediately wonderd the same and if anyone had tried the combination with any success????
Im getting rid of my dosetronic as its not worth the hassle , the alkatronic is going too most likely but then i thought of this, guess its not a good idea though right?

PegasisR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this couldn't work atall or?
I was just about to ask this question before i found this thread, i remembered the product ALL FOR REEF and immediately wonderd the same and if anyone had tried the combination with any success????
Im getting rid of my dosetronic as its not worth the hassle , the alkatronic is going too most likely but then i thought of this, guess its not a good idea though right?
consensus is no. A singular alternative like red sea alk on the pump would work for alkatronics purpose, but AFR will work standalone with alkatronic monitoring

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the info here.

Is dosing calcium based on alk consumption (~20ppm per 1dkh drop) reasonable?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 22.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back