Alkatronic problem

BAUCE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just set my new unit up today following the directions to the T. I ran a manual test and it was almost exactly 1 dkh lower than my Hannah and salifert kits. I read that sometimes it takes a few tests to full calibrate so I ran another one. After the second test ran I saw that it had dosed to get my alkalinity in range. It dosed 60ml each time which spiked my alkalinity from 7 to 8. I have no idea where I went wrong but this did pretty much exactly the opposite of what I bought it for and now I just have to wait and see how my packed acropora tank is going to respond.

Has anyone had this problem before? does the unit really try to catch up in one big dose? Should I try to calibrate again?

TheHunterYall

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turn off the dosing until you get it ironed out. It’s not supposed to increase it that much . Likely seeing a combo of the dose and the break in.

Poochaku

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
couple of weeks for this thing to break in? is that normal? I wish the coralvue video would have explained this.
no i just meant a couple of weeks to observe new tech before handing off the reins to it. I'm not sure why your reading is off but the reading doesn't really matter. you just need the device to tell you trends. If it's 1 dkh lower consistently you can adjust your alkalinity goal in the software acordingly.

Sorry I don't have advice for aligning your reading with your salifert and hanna tests.

OP
OP
BAUCE

BAUCE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no i just meant a couple of weeks to observe new tech before handing off the reins to it. I'm not sure why your reading is off but the reading doesn't really matter. you just need the device to tell you trends. If it's 1 dkh lower consistently you can adjust your alkalinity goal in the software acordingly.

Sorry I don't have advice for aligning your reading with your salifert and hanna tests.
Yeah I totally agree. As long as its consistently wrong its still very useful. I think I got excited with setting up all the new features and didn't really think that I don't actually need them all running anyways. I have the redsea doser that's wifi enabled so if anything is off while Im on trips I can adjust with it. Thanks for the insight.

bcardoro

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The same here. My alkatronic is approximately 1 dKh off. I will calibrate it again, but it is a brand new unit, so would not expect such a huge difference...

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back