All About Reef Safe Wrasses in Aquaria

Status
Not open for further replies.

Makers Marc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dam.. liveaquaria didnt ship my radiant wrasse with my order, due to speciies unavailability.

Hate when that happens.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking about mixing a Cirrhilabrus isosceles, C. shutmani, and C. brunneus.

May add a C. laboutei and/or C. lunatus later on. There are no other wrasses and the tank is a 4’ 80g. Thoughts?
80g seems a little small for mixing 3 species from the same complex.

salty_trout

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my xmas wrasse and melanurus finally get along! I thought my xmas was surely not going to make it since it was staying buried nearly all hours of the day when he wasnt being bullied and pecked at by my melanurus ( for about 3 weeks). Now he is eating shrimp and even swimming with everyone!

Va_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
80g seems a little small for mixing 3 species from the same complex.
Gotcha, I was going off the shutmani being in the lanceolatus complex. Figured if I added them all at the same time (like tangs) it would increase the odds of them getting along. Which should I remove?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha, I was going off the shutmani being in the lanceolatus complex. Figured if I added them all at the same time (like tangs) it would increase the odds of them getting along. Which should I remove?
Isosceles, brunneus, and lunatus are all in the same complex. I would think that brunneus and lunatus in particular wilp habe trouble getting along.

Va_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isosceles, brunneus, and lunatus are all in the same complex. I would think that brunneus and lunatus in particular wilp habe trouble getting along.
Ah the lunatus was a maybe, along with the laboutei, not sold on either yet.

You think the first three will be all right?

scottsreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there, eatsbreakfast or Evolved. I have a 180 gallon and currently have a lubbock, soloneris and exquisite in there. I want to add a pintail(isosceles) to the mix. I do use a acclimation box in DT for when i add wrasses. Do you foresee any issues with this mix??? Thanks for your help

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there, eatsbreakfast or Evolved. I have a 180 gallon and currently have a lubbock, soloneris and exquisite in there. I want to add a pintail(isosceles) to the mix. I do use a acclimation box in DT for when i add wrasses. Do you foresee any issues with this mix??? Thanks for your help
Use an acclimation box, but there shouldn't be any issues.

Dugless

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A recently added McCoskers is getting bullied by a large C. Bathyphilus. Most bullying is done at dusk/dawn lighting and causes the McCoskers to hide. Including the acclimation box, it’s been 2 weeks. Should I expect this behavior to wane or would you remove fish permanently?

HairyGary

Why do all your fish look like trout?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A recently added McCoskers is getting bullied by a large C. Bathyphilus. Most bullying is done at dusk/dawn lighting and causes the McCoskers to hide. Including the acclimation box, it’s been 2 weeks. Should I expect this behavior to wane or would you remove fish permanently?
How long in the box to begin with? Any other wrasse in the tank?

Rocklin Mike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my xmas wrasse and melanurus finally get along! I thought my xmas was surely not going to make it since it was staying buried nearly all hours of the day when he wasnt being bullied and pecked at by my melanurus ( for about 3 weeks). Now he is eating shrimp and even swimming with everyone!
I have those two wrasse in my tank as well but it’s the Xmas wrasse doing the bullying. Constant chasing or bugging. The Xmas is about 50% bigger though so that may be the issue? Any suggestions reducing agression? They’re in a 160G.

Dugless

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long in the box to begin with? Any other wrasse in the tank?
It was in the box a full week. I knew there was some interest, as the Hooded wrasse would go up to the box and flash every so often. The tank houses a female eight line flasher and a initial phase rhomboidalis. The hooded casually flashes/very briefly chases these two but with no harm. The McCoskers has received fin/side damage, however.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have those two wrasse in my tank as well but it’s the Xmas wrasse doing the bullying. Constant chasing or bugging. The Xmas is about 50% bigger though so that may be the issue? Any suggestions reducing agression? They’re in a 160G.

There are several wrasses that go by the common name of Christmas wrasse. Some are a lot more aggressive than others. Do you know the species name or can you post a picture. H. ornatissiumus is pretty aggressive while H. claudia is pretty passive. Both go by that common name.

HairyGary

Why do all your fish look like trout?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It was in the box a full week. I knew there was some interest, as the Hooded wrasse would go up to the box and flash every so often. The tank houses a female eight line flasher and a initial phase rhomboidalis. The hooded casually flashes/very briefly chases these two but with no harm. The McCoskers has received fin/side damage, however.
Can you catch the hooded and put him in time out? Might be the best relief at this point if the chase is constant and the flasher is hiding. Seems like he is the top of the hierarchy. Don't know how big of tank you have but adding more wrasse to the tank would reduce the aggression.

Dugless

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Hooded is a big chicken when it comes to me. So it might be difficult and I would err on the side of permanent removal if I did catch him as I don’t think I’d get another chance if released. I’m trying to find an initial phase isoceles and would like to add a few more others, but it’s tough to find what I’m looking for. The tank is 30x42, 90 gal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back