Status
Not open for further replies.

Maacc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you use an acc box to add him to the display ?
You may want to trap the melanurus and put him in the acc box for a few days so things can calm down.
I did unfortunately, I broke the cardinal rule of patience and when everyone ignored him I let him out after 6 hours and the melanurus was right on him. I will try to bait the fish trap tomorrow after being gone a day with no food and see if I can snare him.

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did unfortunately, I broke the cardinal rule of patience and when everyone ignored him I let him out after 6 hours and the melanurus was right on him. I will try to bait the fish trap tomorrow after being gone a day with no food and see if I can snare him.

We all been there but now the hard part starts I would catch the melanurus if it was me and put him in timeout for 5-7 days. That should calm things down.

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a lubbocks wrasse that has been in the tank for about 4 months now.

Interested in adding a female flame wrasse or male flame wrasse.

Bad idea?

Thanks!

DaLilFishie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive got a sixline. heard bad thing about them and didnt have an acclimation box, but i was willing to take the risk. put him in my 120l reef with tons of live rock and 2 clowns and a coral banded shrimp. never bothers anybody. I LOVE HIM SO MUCH!!:p

bhuyett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive got a sixline. heard bad thing about them and didnt have an acclimation box, but i was willing to take the risk. put him in my 120l reef with tons of live rock and 2 clowns and a coral banded shrimp. never bothers anybody. I LOVE HIM SO MUCH!!:p

Wish you the best of luck. But sounds like you acclimated the six line. That isn’t the issue. The issue is NOW that you have that 6 line in the tank. If and when you decide to add any other wrasse. You will likely have an issue on your hands due to the 6 line.

tgrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you quarantine only or do you treat? No more quarantine for me when it comes to fish. I treat EVERY FISH I get I don't care how healthy it looks.

It just takes one...

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With wrasses you almost have to treat prophylactically, since they have a thicker slime coat so often don't show signs of disease but can still be carriers.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

How old is the 6 line? Many reports of people having them for a year or more and then having them snap one day and go on a killing spree.

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I have a 210gal tank with 2 ocellaris clowns, a firefish, 2 bar gobies, tail spot blenny, melanarus wrasse, yellow-fin flasher, lubbocks, and a marble wrasse. The melanarus has ruled the roost.

Marble wrasse was added last week after 24-36 hours in an acclimation box. The fish didn't even really display at each other in that time. The current blew open the lid to the box so acclimation was cut short. Fish sized each other up for a day 1 in tank. Day 2, the melanarus and marble were chasing each other. Day 3, the melanarus and marble have a sort of equilibrium. Still chase each other occasionally but ignore each other the vast majority of the time and that has been the status quo. Since day 5 however the Lubbock's and flasher have been hiding. The Lubbock's comes out some, the flasher hardly ever.

Today is Day 7. I saw the marble wrasse attack the flasher and chase the Lubbock's into hiding. Sometimes the marble ignores them, other times he's a torpedo straight at them. I'm unsure how long to let this play out.

I know where the marble wrasse sleeps, and it's a pretty accessible area. I have a 2-liter coke bottle that I can turn into a fish trap and just put it over his sleeping area when he goes to the sand. So I'm hopeful that I can catch him if necessary. If I do, it'll be back into the 60 cube for him long term.

Is this at all normal? Is there any benefit to giving them time to sort it out? Both the flasher and lubbock's come out to eat.

HairyGary

Why do all your fish look like trout?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Its not good for the flasher or the lubbocks. i'd pull the marble and put in acclimation box for a bit if you can and see if the flasher and lubbocks come out.

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its not good for the flasher or the lubbocks. i'd pull the marble and put in acclimation box for a bit if you can and see if the flasher and lubbocks come out.

2-liter fish trap is in the tank. Hoping the marble goes to bed where he normally does. Should be able to catch him there.

Lubbock's is fighting back now and largely holding his own. Out a lot more. Flasher wrasse is in the fish version of the fetal position most times. Hugging a rock and staying out of sight.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Marble wrasses get big and are aggressive to more peaceful wrasses. He is not a good fit for the species you have.

ctran

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great article. just ordered a male Naoko’s Fairy Wrasse and a male Crescent Fairy Wrasse, before I came across this article. Naokos' wrasse is more aggressive and I hope they both will coexist in a 90g tank.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great article. just ordered a male Naoko’s Fairy Wrasse and a male Crescent Fairy Wrasse, before I came across this article. Naokos' wrasse is more aggressive and I hope they both will coexist in a 90g tank.
Maybe/maybe not. Naokoae can be pretty aggressive, and crescent tail is on the other end of the spectrum. I would watch carefully and be ready to remove one ig necassary.

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome article! Thank you so much for writing this.

I stopped around post #120.

My apologies if this has already been answered.
I didn't find it in search.

H. Chrysus

Almost every single listing/article/fish selling site mentions these can be kept safely as a group at all stages of life.

I have access to 5 under 1.75". Smallest is 0.75"

Can I do them as a group for at least several years?

Will they eventually need to be separated?

Thank you!

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome article! Thank you so much for writing this.

I stopped around post #120.

My apologies if this has already been answered.
I didn't find it in search.

H. Chrysus

Almost every single listing/article/fish selling site mentions these can be kept safely as a group at all stages of life.

I have access to 5 under 1.75". Smallest is 0.75"

Can I do them as a group for at least several years?

Will they eventually need to be separated?

Thank you!
Of all Halichoeres species chrysus is the most accepting of conspecfics. But I have found even they need to be separated once a second specimen matures.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 65 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back