Status
Not open for further replies.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@evolved my lfs just got fairy wrasses from the philippines. Theres c.lunatus and a c.lanceolatus. Im wondering if these would work in my tank. Its a 65g mixed reef. Fish in the tank are a perc clown, a dragonet and a golden dwarf moray that obviously worries me the most. The moray has never shown interest in the other fish and is rather shy.

Would appreciate your oppinion or anyone else that reads this!

I thought C. lanceolatus was only from Japan? Are you sure they didn't mean C. cf lanceolatus (what is now C. isoscoles)? They are smaller than a lot of other fairy wrasses and easy going. If so C. isoscoles would have a good chance of working IMO but I would certainly defer to @evolved .

HairyGary

Why do all your fish look like trout?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I thought C. lanceolatus was only from Japan? Are you sure they didn't mean C. cf lanceolatus (what is now C. isoscoles)? They are smaller than a lot of other fairy wrasses and easy going. If so C. isoscoles would have a good chance of working IMO but I would certainly defer to @evolved .
Yeah C. Lancelatus are Japanese (deep water I think) and pretty rare in the trade although I heard rumors of recent collection. I agree with @saltyhog it’s more than likely c. isosceles.

Kirschy17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah C. Lancelatus are Japanese (deep water I think) and pretty rare in the trade although I heard rumors of recent collection. I agree with @saltyhog it’s more than likely c. isosceles.
Intresting... im from austria and the fish store posted a german stock list. The word for word translation would be long-fin wrasse. A quick google search linked it to c. Lanceolatus. Ill check it out today and see at the store.

Wrasse and moray would work u say?

BantyRooster97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked over the wrasse compatibility chart but have a quick question. Can a Labouti & a Lineatus coexist even though they are both Cirrhilabrus species?

HairyGary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I looked over the wrasse compatibility chart but have a quick question. Can a Labouti & a Lineatus coexist even though they are both Cirrhilabrus species?
Yes. Couple questions though. How big is your tank? Is one already a resident?

BantyRooster97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. Couple questions though. How big is your tank? Is one already a resident?
Tank is 105g. Right now I have an exquisite, solor, & blue flasher in QT. I'd like to add these 2 as well when I find them. Might add a Naoko, orange back or lubbock as well. But I for sure want the other 2 first.

HairyGary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Tank is 105g. Right now I have an exquisite, solor, & blue flasher in QT. I'd like to add these 2 as well when I find them. Might add a Naoko, orange back or lubbock as well. But I for sure want the other 2 first.
Do you intend to add those three in QT to the DT first and then add Lineatus and Labouti next? After those three I would add the Lineatus first using acclimation box and then add the labouti via acclimation box as well. Labouti's can be somewhat aggressive. Given the size of the tank I would be hesitant to add the Naoki. It tends to be very aggressive.

Addtiionally, the Solar and Orangeback are in the same subfamily and you may have issue with those together. Plus of those listed, all but maybe the exquisite, lubbocks and the Blue flasher will get big.

BantyRooster97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! If I can find the labouti & lineatus while these 3 are in QT, I'll add them to the QT and add them all same time to my display. I'm looking for younger fish (not terminal males) so hopefully they can grow up together. Right now my other 3 all coexist great in QT.

Or would it be better to add these 3 and then the others 1 at a time like you describe?

I'll cross the orange back & naoko off the list.

Love my solar by the way, he has such a great personality!

HairyGary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you! If I can find the labouti & lineatus while these 3 are in QT, I'll add them to the QT and add them all same time to my display. I'm looking for younger fish (not terminal males) so hopefully they can grow up together. Right now my other 3 all coexist great in QT.

Or would it be better to add these 3 and then the others 1 at a time like you describe?

I'll cross the orange back & naoko off the list.

Love my solar by the way, he has such a great personality!
I don't know how big your QT is or how far along you are in your QT process. Plus adding all 5 together assuming your QT can handle it would be doable but heavy jolt to your DT bioload at one time.

BantyRooster97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My QT is a reefer 170 (approx 35-40g), but not all of these wrasses are going in the 105g. Only the 2 new ones & probably solar will go in. The blue flasher, exquisite & lubbuck if I get one will stay in the Reefer due to the size.

Currently I'm 3 weeks in QT. I try only to observe in QT, I don't lie to use chemicals or anything else unless a problem or pest shows itself.

HairyGary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My QT is a reefer 170 (approx 35-40g), but not all of these wrasses are going in the 105g. Only the 2 new ones & probably solar will go in. The blue flasher, exquisite & lubbuck if I get one will stay in the Reefer due to the size.

Currently I'm 3 weeks in QT. I try only to observe in QT, I don't lie to use chemicals or anything else unless a problem or pest shows itself.
Just be mindful that wrasse have a thick slime coat that hides ich and velvet. I learned that the hard way years ago. Good luck

BantyRooster97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really? So how do you know? How long should I leave them in qt? I currently have a small tang and pyramid butterfly in with them, and all seem fine.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wrasses could look "fine" for weeks and weeks and then introduce ich to your tank. One possibility would be to acclimate a black molly to saltwater and put it in the QT. With it's color and lack of saltwater immunity it would show symptoms/signs very quickly.

BantyRooster97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wrasses could look "fine" for weeks and weeks and then introduce ich to your tank. One possibility would be to acclimate a black molly to saltwater and put it in the QT. With it's color and lack of saltwater immunity it would show symptoms/signs very quickly.
Wouldn't my tang or butterfly show signs?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

BantyRooster97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes, I bought the 3 wrasses, tang & butterfly all at the same time, from the same vendor and all are in qt together. All of them are on the small side, my 2 spot tang isn't even 2".

cjpitt80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey
I currently have a large Carpenter's Flasher and a Medium Linespot Flasher. I'm thinking about adding a McKosker's Flasher, a Yellow Coris, and an Exquisite. Would this be okay in a 75gal?

HairyGary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey
I currently have a large Carpenter's Flasher and a Medium Linespot Flasher. I'm thinking about adding a McKosker's Flasher, a Yellow Coris, and an Exquisite. Would this be okay in a 75gal?
Yes it would be fine, but be sure to use acclimation box when introducing each wrasse to existing wrasse in your DT. I would also suggest adding the Exquisite last.

cjpitt80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it would be fine, but be sure to use acclimation box when introducing each wrasse to existing wrasse in your DT. I would also suggest adding the Exquisite last.

Can I add at the same time? McCosker, Yellow Coris and Exquisite would be okay together in a 20gal long QT for a month?

HairyGary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Can I add at the same time? McCosker, Yellow Coris and Exquisite would be okay together in a 20gal long QT for a month?
Added to DT at the same time? Yes but again an acclimation box would be handy to see if there is any aggression from the existing wrasse.

Should be fine in 20L just watch ammonia levels with ammonia badge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 41 41.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 34.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back