Status
Not open for further replies.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After almost 3 years of unsuccessful attempts to capture my six-line, he finally passed on. This has opened the door for me to pursue other wrasses. Using Evolved's chart I have come up with a stocking plan but I want to make sure that it has a good chance of working.

C. Jordani (Flame)
C. Isosceles (Pintail) or C. Lunatus
C. Beauperri (Beau's)
C. Aurantidorsalis (Orangeback)
P. Mccoskeri (McCosker's flasher)

If this list is ok, do I need to add them all at once? Should I add the Orangeback last since he may be the most aggressive? Can I just add them as they become available?

The C. beauperri is the only one on your list I haven't kept so I can't speak to him but otherwise those would be great. I would add the C. isoscoles and the flasher first because they are smaller and in the isocoles case more demure. Then maybe the flame and Beau's and finally the Orangeback.

I would also encourage you to think about adding a second or even third flasher. The interaction and flashing that ensues is really cool to watch.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The C. beauperri is the only one on your list I haven't kept so I can't speak to him but otherwise those would be great. I would add the C. isoscoles and the flasher first because they are smaller and in the isocoles case more demure. Then maybe the flame and Beau's and finally the Orangeback.

I would also encourage you to think about adding a second or even third flasher. The interaction and flashing that ensues is really cool to watch.
I'm always open for suggestions. I know nothing about flasher wrasses and @evolved is slacking and hasn't written a compatibility chart for them like he has on fairy wrasses! ;) :p

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm always open for suggestions. I know nothing about flasher wrasses and @evolved is slacking and hasn't written a compatibility chart for them like he has on fairy wrasses! ;) :p

Flasher wrasse compatibility is actually pretty easy. Any of them can mix with one king's x. If you choose an eight line (P. octotaenia) you need to add it last and have a larger tank as they get fairy wrasse size and behavior. Look at P. lineopunctatus, P. flavianalis, P. angulatus and P. attenuatus....they are all great. Attenuatus is more expensive but much less so than they used to be. I got lucky and found a small female for $99 and it started transitioning to male in just a couple of weeks.

dsinsocal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been looking to try out a Leopard Wrasse -- with an eye toward the bipartitus. My LFS got one in this week, but they also received a meleagris too. Both are beautiful fish and we're having trouble deciding between them. I'm looking for opinions (informal poll for fun) but also any real experience people out there have had with both.

Also, please check my current wrasse roster for compatibility:

Yellow-Streak Fairy (luteovittatus) (large: 4.5")
Pintail Fairy (medium < 4")
Red-Lined (medium < 3")
Melanurus (small a tad over 2")

Both of these fish about around 2.5". I don't think there should be any compatibility issues there, but it's better to ask.

Thanks!

leopard 3.jpg leopard 1.jpg

SighKenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry if I'm bringing back a dead thread but I currently have a 75 gallon stocked with 2 clowns, 2 bangaiis, a blenny and a goby
which wrasse(s) do you think would go best in my tank if i potentially wanted more than one?
The only future stocking plans i have so far is a Kole or Tomini Tang/ and a Foxface
edit: if it helps at all I've looked a bit at live aquaria just to get an idea and i really like Cirrhilabrus cf cyanopleura , Cirrhilabrus rubrimarginatus, Cirrhilabrus sp., and Paracheilinus mccoskeri
not necessarily as the ones /I want/ but just ones i thought looked neat

Last edited:

stanleo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@evolved, what do you think of a bluehead wrasse Thalassoma bifasciatum from the Caribbean? I have a yellow tang and pj cardinals and a damsel. I also have snails, hermits, emerald crabs and will be getting shrimps like cleaners, peppermint and fire. I am looking for a fun wrasse for my 120 gallon and I loved seeing these while diving off the Keys over the summer.

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@evolved, what do you think of a bluehead wrasse Thalassoma bifasciatum from the Caribbean? I have a yellow tang and pj cardinals and a damsel. I also have snails, hermits, emerald crabs and will be getting shrimps like cleaners, peppermint and fire. I am looking for a fun wrasse for my 120 gallon and I loved seeing these while diving off the Keys over the summer.
To put it bluntly, Thalassoma's don't belong in a reef tank.

stanleo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To put it bluntly, Thalassoma's don't belong in a reef tank.
Ok so that's out. I was at my LFS today and saw what they called a Ruby Fin Wrasse. I looked it up and it is a fairy wrasse but the one they had looked slightly different. It was beautiful and I think I will get it. I have a bad pic of it. Would this one work?

unnamed.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so that's out. I was at my LFS today and saw what they called a Ruby Fin Wrasse. I looked it up and it is a fairy wrasse but the one they had looked slightly different. It was beautiful and I think I will get it. I have a bad pic of it. Would this one work?

unnamed.jpg
C. rubripinnis - yes, that's a much better choice.
You might find the first post/article of this thread a worthwhile read, too.

jp_75

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Already have katherine’s fairy in (4”)
Thinking about:
Exquisite,hooded,pintail or crescent next.
Any long term issues? Which of last two is/will be more peaceful?

Last edited:
OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Already have katherine’s fairy in (4”)
Thinking about:
Exquisite, pintail and hooded or crescent next.
Any long term issues? Which of last two is/will be more peaceful?
Should be okay with that mix, but you're far better off with the Hooded. The pintail and crescent tail are in the same complex.

jp_75

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sorry i meant Pintail or Crescent? Which one would be more peaceful? Thx

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sorry i meant Pintail or Crescent? Which one would be more peaceful? Thx
About the same, really. Specimen dependent - some are a bit bold, others a bit shy.

EricLibs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've read a lot and I've looked at the chart but I'd still like to ask the pros....

I currently have a good size male splendid pintail and a make flasher wrasse in my 90. My local shop has some really nice lineatus and Australian laboutei. I want to get one of the above and I know the lineatus are less aggressive but the laboutei are so nice and a little cheaper. My question is will the laboutei pick on my pintail ?

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've read a lot and I've looked at the chart but I'd still like to ask the pros....

I currently have a good size male splendid pintail and a make flasher wrasse in my 90. My local shop has some really nice lineatus and Australian laboutei. I want to get one of the above and I know the lineatus are less aggressive but the laboutei are so nice and a little cheaper. My question is will the laboutei pick on my pintail ?
Once mature, there's a 50/50 chance the laboutei turns into a bully, yes. The lineatus is a safer bet, but it's almost not enough tank for the species (they get pretty big).

EricLibs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once mature, there's a 50/50 chance the laboutei turns into a bully, yes. The lineatus is a safer bet, but it's almost not enough tank for the species (they get pretty big).

Yeah that's what I was thinking also... Size is an issue. The laboutei they got in are large so I'll probably pass because my pintail is way to nice to risk...

Aheinz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would it be possible to keep a melanrus or red lined wrasse alogn with a fairy or flasher and them be at peace? given a 36 x 24 x 16h tank? or would it be betetr to stick with one species?

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would it be possible to keep a melanrus or red lined wrasse alogn with a fairy or flasher and them be at peace? given a 36 x 24 x 16h tank? or would it be betetr to stick with one species?
Yes, definitely possible. A red lined would be a bit safer, given the tank size.

Aheinz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, definitely possible. A red lined would be a bit safer, given the tank size.
Awesome I have a thread on what i would like to stock the new tank with some things are transferring over from my current tank, and trying to now overcrowd luckily I'm still plannign wont be till jan or feb when i receive the tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 26.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 32.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 30.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back