OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
interesting, i have a 24" cube too and thought all fairy wrasses were a no go. would you say anything from the lubbocki and lunatus complexes would work?
Yes, but it's still not ideal. But the minimum I'm comfortable with.

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah seems the concern would be if they go all flashy mode and run into something, not a ton of room to maneuver
Pretty much. And that's the exact reason I won't recommend Paracheilinus for tanks less than 3' long. They especially need that room to do 'their thing.

Why-Me

Been going against the grain since I was a sapling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
None. Sorry.
Thank you for the honesty.
I was thinking as much but won't risk it before asking someone.
I'll wait until my 50 cube 24x24 is setup.
What would you recommend for that 50 cube with a pair of fang blennies and a pair of clownfish then?

Last edited:

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are any of the Leopard Wrasses easier to keep than any others? I think my tank can support one at this point and think they are all amazing, so figured I would go for the easiest to keep.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are any of the Leopard Wrasses easier to keep than any others? I think my tank can support one at this point and think they are all amazing, so figured I would go for the easiest to keep.

Great question Brew. I was thinking of adding another and wondered the same thing.

It may be a fluke but my Potter's wrasse was pretty easy to QT and get eating. He eats anything now including nori. Live black worms/white worms or frozen blood worms are great to use to get them eating early on.

HairyGary

Why do all your fish look like trout?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Great question Brew. I was thinking of adding another and wondered the same thing.

It may be a fluke but my Potter's wrasse was pretty easy to QT and get eating. He eats anything now including nori. Live black worms/white worms or frozen blood worms are great to use to get them eating early on.

Don't think it is a fluke. Mine went through QT very well and is super fat. She eats everything. When I am feeding Reef Frenzy or Mysis out of a pipette, she pecs at it to get more.

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm so happy to finally have a flasher in my 120G - male Carpenter's to be specific. Requested through a not so local LFS (hour drive away) and got through QT beautifully. Finally into the 120G after a few hours in an acclimation box proved that nobody was interested in it. After about 24 hours of being very timid he's started to come out more. Gets bullied a little by a Pygmy Yellowtail Angel but nothing vicious. Hoping to see him grazing around soon!

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
meleagris and bipartitus are typically the easiest.

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anyone ever kept halichoeres solorensis? @evolved @eatbreakfast

Yellowface_wrasse_%28Halichoeres_solorensis%29_%2846387007424%29.jpg

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yours or did you just see the one available that I saw? :D I'm not sure my big 'ol H. melasmapomas would like him very much but I'm tempted.

not mine, random photo from google. there has been one on DD for a few days is why i asked. not a fish i really knew existed lol

looks cool, but apparently maxes out around 7" so maybe a bit more aggressive and likely to mow down inverts than i'd prefer. when i get a bigger tank i really want a melasmapomas and he can be the gentle giant king of wrasses :)

YankeeTankee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In various posts both Halichoeres and Pseudocheilinus genera are mentioned as being great for consuming pests. I know the halichoeres wrasses are known to eat inverts and that some pseudocheilinus will too. I wonder if many other wrasse types eat inverts and if the reason these types of wrasses are mentioned more regarding eating crustaceans is simply because they are common in the hobby. I see fairy and flasher are category one, but will they eat crustaceans.

While every fish is different, I am looking for a peaceful utilitarian genera and or species who will go after worms and nudis but leave snails and crabs alone. I'd imagine this type of wrasse would be common if it existed but maybe they are rare and expensive or something. Do any of you know of genera or species of wrasse that has these characteristics. Maybe its a species within these genera or just a smaller one. Suggestions? I don't mind rare!

Last edited:

Therich84

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out of the 3, lineatus, rhomboid and labouti, what would be the best for a 50 gal cube?

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In various posts both Halichoeres and Pseudocheilinus genera as being great for consuming pests. I know the halichoeres wrasses are known to eat inverts and that some pseudocheilinus will too. I wonder if many other wrasse types eat inverts and if the reason these types of wrasses are mentioned more regarding eating crustaceans is simply because they are common in the hobby. I see fairy and flasher are category one, but will they eat crustaceans.

While every fish is different, I am looking for a peaceful utilitarian genera and or species who will go after worms and nudis but leave snails and crabs alone. I'd imagine this type of wrasse would be common if it existed but maybe they are rare and expensive or something. Do any of you know of genera or species of wrasse that has these characteristics. Maybe its a species within these genera or just a smaller one. Suggestions? I don't mind rare!

Any wrasse can eat a motile invert but as a general rule fairy and flasher wrasses almost never do. Unfortunately they are not utilitarian as they don't eat common pests in the tank.

In the Halichoeres genus it is different depending on the species. I've kept H. crysus on several occasions and even when they are large and mature they have never eaten a single snail, shrimp, etc. I would enthusiastically recommend this species for what you are looking for.

YankeeTankee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any wrasse can eat a motile invert but as a general rule fairy and flasher wrasses almost never do. Unfortunately they are not utilitarian as they don't eat common pests in the tank.

In the Halichoeres genus it is different depending on the species. I've kept H. crysus on several occasions and even when they are large and mature they have never eaten a single snail, shrimp, etc. I would enthusiastically recommend this species for what you are looking for.
And you suspect they will eat AEFW monti-nudis and various pests?

Status
Not open for further replies.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 29.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 27.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 6.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back