immaman2011

immaman2011

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Midnite angel which is a dwarf angel

1661108218559.png
Need one that is reef safe. Midnights like to snack on soft corals. Also can't be aggressive

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
OP
OP
immaman2011

immaman2011

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Black sailfin mollies are gracious and eat algae
I tried acclimating 3 other mollies already and they all passed. Only the male gold dust molly survived. I don't want to kill anymore of them off of the 50/50 they survive.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I tried acclimating 3 other mollies already and they all passed. Only the male gold dust molly survived. I don't want to kill anymore of them off of the 50/50 they survive.
Must be acclimated very well over 48-72 hours

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my caribean black clingfish fits the bill. Its pure black, doesnt get bigger than 3"-4", doesnt eat corals or bother inverts, and just sticks to himself, actually just sticks to the back glass, literally clings to the glass, its pretty neat.
Gobiesox clingfish (the Caribbean black clingfish on Diver’s den appeared to be misidentified Gobiesox punctulatus) might potentially consume very small fish and invertebrates, though there seem to be no reports of this with stippled clingfish (Gobiesox punctulatus). @Chasmodes had a well-fed skilletfish (Gobiesox strumosus) consume a small blenny:
The event that happened last week freaked me out, but I guess that I shouldn't have been all that surprised. Striped blennies are pretty fearless and tough characters in the tank. Even the smallest ones are brave and chase away both the gobies and the skilletfish (although both of the other species will chase them off too at times). But, I never expected this to happen:
IMG_8049_zps1aubh4v1.jpg

It occurred in the 20g high tank. Yep, I lost a juvenile blenny due to skilletfish predation. This medium sized skilletfish ate my blenny!!!! I saw it happen. It wasn't a scavenging event. I couldn't believe it. All of these fish had full bellies. I mentioned last week that I gave all of the fish away from that tank, but this one little blenny was going to move to my 20g long tank. All he had to do was make it one more day.

Anyway, that is something to keep in mind when keeping skilletfish or similar clingfish. They have large mouths, and, although most of what you read about them says that they eat worms, amphipods, small crustaceans, etc., they will also eat fish, even small more aggressive ones.

OP
OP
immaman2011

immaman2011

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gobiesox clingfish (the Caribbean black clingfish on Diver’s den appeared to be misidentified Gobiesox punctulatus) might potentially consume very small fish and invertebrates, though there seem to be no reports of this with stippled clingfish (Gobiesox punctulatus). @Chasmodes had a well-fed skilletfish (Gobiesox strumosus) consume a small blenny:
Nvm then lol.

OP
OP
immaman2011

immaman2011

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a little guy... but if you've got the room and funds a black tang.

Mine's extremelt docile, peaceful and only grazes on algae and pellets.
lg_86395_Black_Longnose_Tang.jpg
I recently picked up a tomini tang. I don't think they would get along lol

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tough list given the qualities you're after. Here's what I can think of:

Mostly safe and all black:
Black Clown Goby (Gobiodon strangulatus)
Black Sailfin Blenny (Atrosalarias fuscus)
Black Combtooth Blenny (Ecsenius namiyei)

Mostly safe but color might not be exactly what you're after:
White Cap Goby (Lotilia graciliosa) - as stated, has some white on the head (also very expensive)
Hector's Goby (Amblygobius hectori) - can be mostly black with stripes
Blue Assessor Basslet (Assessor macneilli) - very dark blue, can look black
Randall's Assessor Basslet (Assessor randalli) - very dark blue, can look black

Gatorpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

White Cap Goby (Lotilia graciliosa) - as stated, has some white on the head (also very expensive)
Assessors are bad butt, but sometimes hard to keep

Fishyfish22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I recently picked up a tomini tang. I don't think they would get along lol
I has a Whitetail bristletooth and a few other tangs in the tank when I added this and two others. The bristletooth went after the chocolate tang, but it left the black tang alone. The only one that bothered it was the purple tang, another zebrazoma

OP
OP
immaman2011

immaman2011

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My favorite LFS that I got tomini at has some black clown gobies. Just worried about aggression from the orange citron goby. Since they are from the same gene pool.

OP
OP
immaman2011

immaman2011

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about a black cardinalfish? I have seen them at Petco. A LFS by me had four in stock yesterday. They are very black.
That was my original plan lol but I already have cardinalfish. Was thinking about going with the black clown goby. But I will probably end up going the black cardinalfish route.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys been looking for 1 more fish to fit in with the rest of my little guys. To bring more contrast in. Looking for something "peaceful - mildly territorial". Nothing that's going to eat coral, snails, and shrimp. And nothing that's going to be a big butthole bully later on. Something all black.

Only thing I've come across is the black cardinalfish. Looking to keep it under 4".

Any ideas? Or am I SOL? No angels.
What size is the tank?
This will show what fish you can go for and what may be available. For example if it was a 50g, Macropharyngodon negrosensis is a mostly black leopard when female. If it was a 180+ then Zebrasoma rostratum and it’s hybrid are good species’ to go for.
You beat it to me!
Black clown goby (Gobiodon strangulatus)? I hear clown gobies might damage SPS.
1661114377532.jpeg

1661114405004.jpeg
the species in the photos are what appear to actually be Gobiodon acicularis (Atleast the top one is G. acicularis).
In my Gobiidae thread I have a few photos of different species. I believe I have a differentiation between the blacks or Strangulatus and some others (I could be wrong - If I am then I can make something on identifying them).

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
U can mix clown gobies. They are a nano fish and yes you can have more than 1 and of different colors.
Same with the neon gobies. With blue stripes. I added 3 one time to a 120g Marineland display and they were really kool to see them perching here and their.
D

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 25 14.2%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 40 22.7%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 103 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back