Looking for opinions on a third fish for my 29 gallon tank.

Noodles_Jefferson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, good people. I'm considering adding a fish. I have a 29 gallon reef tank with one yellow watchman goby, one pajama cardinal, and one cleaner shrimp plus the cleanup crew (blue leg crabs and a couple of turbo snails). MY parameters (alk, calc, mag) are little high but getting under control as I have paused auto-dosing for now. I tried adding a dottyback about a year ago but he didn't last more than a coupe of days. I thought the other two took him out but they're considered peaceful so I'm thinking maybe it was my water quality which at times was not great but is much better now due to upgrades on my system. I want to try again. what kind of fish can I get that is colorful but also not too aggressive that can coexist peacefully with a watchman goby and a pajama cardinal. Also, would two "peaceful" fish like mine be territorial enough to act aggressively toward a newcomer and possibly torment it to death? It could have been stress or maybe I didn't drip him in long enough to get him acclimated correctly. I'm going to try one more time and if this one dies and I know my water quality is good right now, then i'm going to assume these guys don't want a roommate and leave it at that. Thanks!

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If a previously healthy or not super old fish died and the water quality isn't obviously bad, its most likely due to disease, which makes me hesitant to add another fish.

OP
OP
N

Noodles_Jefferson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of dottyback were you considering? I really wouldn't suggest any outside of an orchid dottyback
no, that was the last time I tried adding a new fish. for a while I had the goby, the pajama cardinal and a coral beauty. They coexisted fine for a long time. The Coral Beauty died and for a couple of years it was just the other two. Then i added the dottyback and it died within a few days. I know there could be any number of reasons why that may have happened (disease, aggression from the other fish, stress, etc.) I'm just trying to get a recommendation on a good option for a third fish. If it happens again I'll stop trying.

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no, that was the last time I tried adding a new fish. for a while I had the goby, the pajama cardinal and a coral beauty. They coexisted fine for a long time. The Coral Beauty died and for a couple of years it was just the other two. Then i added the dottyback and it died within a few days. I know there could be any number of reasons why that may have happened (disease, aggression from the other fish, stress, etc.) I'm just trying to get a recommendation on a good option for a third fish. If it happens again I'll stop trying.
Sorry I had interpreted try one more time as get another dottyback. A peaceful fish is a good idea. Maybe a firefish?

OP
OP
N

Noodles_Jefferson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I had interpreted try one more time as get another dottyback. A peaceful fish is a good idea. Maybe a firefish?

Hmmmm...peaceful nature. reef compatible and care level- easy. Nice looking too. i'll check it out, thanks!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 91 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.0%
Back