All dollars aside.. would 2 AI Prime HDs OR 1 AI Hydra 26 best for a 25gal lagoon

vokrey09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm setting up a 25 gal lagoon tank and planned on using one AI Prime HD, after talking to a bunch of people I'm learning this may not be enough. Should I just add one more prime to the tank, or return the one I havent opened and get a single hydra 26?

Thanks

Rogued_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Either way would work good in that tank. I think the most important thing for you to consider at this point is future tank upgrade. If you think you might want to go bigger in the near future then going for a hydra 36 would be your best option so later on you buy a second one instead of having to sell 2 primes and buy 2 36s

OP
OP
vokrey09

vokrey09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i thought they discontinued the Hydra 26 , whats your tank size?
They did discontinue the 26, I was going to buy a used one on here. The tank is a 25gal lagoon, its about 24L x 20D x 12H

Either way would work good in that tank. I think the most important thing for you to consider at this point is future tank upgrade. If you think you might want to go bigger in the near future then going for a hydra 36 would be your best option so later on you buy a second one instead of having to sell 2 primes and buy 2 36s
That is a good point. I'm downgrading at the moment, so no bigger tanks are in my NEAR future. I'm sure one day, but at that time there will probably be the next best thing out.

If you think a prime is adequate for this tank thats all that matters right now. As far as corals, mainly keeping zoas and a few digis. Was just afraid of a discoball effect or dead spots on the edges

Rogued_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They did discontinue the 26, I was going to buy a used one on here. The tank is a 25gal lagoon, its about 24L x 20D x 12H

That is a good point. I'm downgrading at the moment, so no bigger tanks are in my NEAR future. I'm sure one day, but at that time there will probably be the next best thing out.

If you think a prime is adequate for this tank thats all that matters right now. As far as corals, mainly keeping zoas and a few digis. Was just afraid of a discoball effect or dead spots on the edges

Primes are more than adequate for that size tank.

Rogued_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup! 26’s and primes both cover 24x24. If you wanted a bit more punch for sps, add a second prime. No reason to go out of your way to return.
I would do 2 primes right off the bat for sure just to be covered for impulse buys haha he said he wants to keep some sps so yeah 2 would be the way to go.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
The 26 will do well on this tank (like having two Primes).
NewYorkReefer1988 has a nice Hydra 26 with the mount for under $200 shipped

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, always do two so that you can spread them apart more, if you need it. The two sets of cords and mounts is WAY less of an issue to me.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%

Back