All fish but one died

cooperdude916

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made a thread earlier today about it. When i was at work my girlfriend texted me saying two of our fish and all of our crabs just dropped dead all of a sudden. The only living now is our chocolate mocha clown but hes breathing really heavy. Now that I'm home and tested the water I cant figure out what happened. The parameters all checked out fine and the temperature and salinity are the same as always. The clown is breathing pretty heavy. I dont really know what to do to save him or what killed the other two fish. Should i go out and get a small tank and set that up to put the clown in?

OP
OP
C

cooperdude916

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heres a picture of the parameters. The ammonia looks a little different then the 0 on the sheet but its always been that color every time i test

20200813_164333.jpg

Jasontkd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your temperature and salinity? do you have a grounding probe? Any possibility of electrical current in the water? How old is your tank?

OP
OP
C

cooperdude916

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your temperature and salinity? do you have a grounding probe? Any possibility of electrical current in the water? How old is your tank?
The temperature is right at 78 and salinity is just below 1.024. I don't have a grounding probe. It could have been some sort of electrical current but I'm not sure. I have my secondary heater in right now just in case my main heater caused it.

Edit: the tank is about 3 months old

Homebrewer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cleaning products? Any chance of anything foreign making its way into the tank?

Sorry to hear about this.

OP
OP
C

cooperdude916

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cleaning products? Any chance of anything foreign making its way into the tank?

Sorry to hear about this.
It could be some sort of cleaning products. We have been cleaning the apartment a lot more recently but i cant think of anything we used near the tank other than some febreeze

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You said "the clown is breathing pretty heavy".

Heavy breathing is a symptom of disease. Considering everything else in the tank has died suddenly, I am inclined to think you're dealing with a infection problem.

Do you PERSONALLY quarantine your fish before you place them in the display tank? Have you recently (within the last week) added a new fish to the display?

OP
OP
C

cooperdude916

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Heavy breathing is a symptom of disease. Considering everything else in the tank has died suddenly, I am inclined to think you're dealing with a infection problem.

Do you PERSONALLY quarantine your fish before you place them in the display tank? Have you recently (within the last week) added a new fish to the display?
I haven't quarantined any of the fish in the tank. I don't really have room for a second tank so itd be hard for me to do it. The most recent addition was the black nox angelfish. I believe i got that around 2 weeks ago. I had been watching it at my LFS for close to 2 months and it seemed like it was really healthy. I did notice a couple days ago it had some white spots on it but they were nearly invisible and he also had dug a little hole in the sand between the rocks that he lived in. So i just assumed that was sand particles

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I would think disease too, but the rapid pace and inverts dying as well makes me think maybe lack of O2 or something got into the tank as mention. Water look clear, to rule out any type of blooms? Candy you post a pic?

forestsofkelp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rapid death of fish AND inverts with normal parameters, to me, is chemical until proven otherwise. I didn’t see how big your tank was...I’ve heard it tanks being contaminated just from cleaning products in the air.

I’d get a second tank, make fresh saltwater, and transfer the clown there till you figure out what it is.

they haven’t been sick lately at all? Do you have contaminated food possibly?

I’ve had electrical current in the tank before, I got shocked when I stuck my hand in near the equipment. Didn’t seem affect the fish though

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't quarantined any of the fish in the tank. I don't really have room for a second tank so itd be hard for me to do it. The most recent addition was the black nox angelfish. I believe i got that around 2 weeks ago. I had been watching it at my LFS for close to 2 months and it seemed like it was really healthy. I did notice a couple days ago it had some white spots on it but they were nearly invisible and he also had dug a little hole in the sand between the rocks that he lived in. So i just assumed that was sand particles

It sounds like the white spots you saw were FLUKES. I'd say that the NOX that you added two weeks ago brought something into the tank.

OP
OP
C

cooperdude916

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think disease too, but the rapid pace and inverts dying as well makes me think maybe lack of O2 or something got into the tank as mention. Water look clear, to rule out any type of blooms? Candy you post a pic?
The tank is a 40 breeder. It was perfectly clear this morning before i left for work. It actually just got over a bacteria bloom a couple days ago. Its gotten a little cloudy today but thats probably due to everything dying and starting to decay

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is a 40 breeder. It was perfectly clear this morning before i left for work. It actually just got over a bacteria bloom a couple days ago. Its gotten a little cloudy today but thats probably due to everything dying and starting to decay

Bacterial blooms cause oxygen depletion... doesn't it?

OP
OP
C

cooperdude916

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rapid death of fish AND inverts with normal parameters, to me, is chemical until proven otherwise. I didn’t see how big your tank was...I’ve heard it tanks being contaminated just from cleaning products in the air.

I’d get a second tank, make fresh saltwater, and transfer the clown there till you figure out what it is.

they haven’t been sick lately at all? Do you have contaminated food possibly?

I’ve had electrical current in the tank before, I got shocked when I stuck my hand in near the equipment. Didn’t seem affect the fish though
Im gonna try to head over to petco right now and see if i can grab a 10 gallon tank

Qasimja

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in your previous thread i asked when was the last time you added anything wet into your tank i really believe it was a parasite that took out your fish it kills fish rather quickly

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I would recommend getting some prime in there, carbon in case of contamination, get some flow at the top for surface agitation for plenty of air, and a fresh water dip may give some temp relief while we try to figure out what’s up.

OP
OP
C

cooperdude916

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in your previous thread i asked when was the last time you added anything wet into your tank i really believe it was a parasite that took out your fish it kills fish rather quickly
That very well could be what happened. Its just kind of weird that it happened all at once and killed the crabs too

Qasimja

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when marine velvet took out my tank it killed them in a matter of hours half of them showed no outward signs the other half had a very heavy mucus on them and spots all over

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back