All fish but one died

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Ive never done a freshwater dip before. How do you go about doing one?
Prepare RO water in a clean bucket and match the tank temperature and let fish swim in it 3-5 minutes. Any flukes will fall off ( they look like little sesame seeds)

bs80

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive never done a freshwater dip before. How do you go about doing one?

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a good way to treat FLUKES?

Typically, you can do a fresh water dip. RODI water at matched temperature to the tank water and place the fish in for a minute or two, maximum.

You will see the flukes drop off and lay at the bottom of the container in which you are doing the fresh water dip.

This is a temporary as there will still be flukes present in the display and will attach themselves to the fish once placed back into the tank. This is why you keep it in QT.

But the real problem here is that we have not identified the cause of death.

If its Velvet, I believe treating with copper in a quarantine tank is the course of action. As I understand it rocks in the display tank will absorb copper so it will be difficult to maintain therapeutic levels in the display tank.

If it was me, I'd break down the tank, disinfect, and start new. If you don't want to do this, then I would go fallow for 90 days.

Last edited:

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, bad news. I woke up this morning and Hershey (the clown) was dead. I guess its time to start everything over

Sorry man. Rip it apart, disinfect and start new.

And quarantine!

I quarantine for 90 days. And if the fish in QT shows any sign of disease, I begin treatment immediately. But I want to emphasize this...

If at any point during the QT process, you have to treat for disease, once the illness clears up, you have to restart the QT clock back to ZERO. You need 90 days illness free before placing in the display.

Good luck and keep us posted.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Oh no. . . Personally, if you can hang on, let the tank run fishless for about 6 weeks, recheck your parameters and give it a whirl again.

OP
OP
C

cooperdude916

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry man. Rip it apart, disinfect and start new.

And quarantine!

I quarantine for 90 days. And if the fish in QT shows any sign of disease, I begin treatment immediately. But I want to emphasize this...

If at any point during the QT process, you have to treat for disease, once the illness clears up, you have to restart the QT clock back to ZERO. You need 90 days illness free before placing in the display.

Good luck and keep us posted.
I think that's the plan right now. I'm probably going to disinfect everything and get one of the new waterbox peninsula mini tanks. After seeing them at my LFS I've fallen in love with them

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 33.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 24.7%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 8.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 20 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back