All fish struggling to breathe at bottom of tank

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Well then, I can’t rule out low oxygen/high carbon dioxide in this case. Breaking the surface tension of the water is vital, oil from the food can build up on the still water surface and cut off gas exchange. The biggest issue happens at night when the photosynthetic organisms go into reverse phase and start taking up oxygen instead of giving it off.

Edit: however it looks like fish are continuing to die after being moved to a higher oxygen environment, that should happen with simple low DO issues….so I can’t rule out Amyloodinium here.

Jay
You mean Amyloodinium?
I too had to look up spelling

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Night out is a beneficial bacteria, regardless of water and sodium content in the product. The fact is it works 100%.

Is that the stuff you get for free when you buy an Eco Aquakizer? Those work 100% too ;)

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well then, I can’t rule out low oxygen/high carbon dioxide in this case. Breaking the surface tension of the water is vital, oil from the food can build up on the still water surface and cut off gas exchange. The biggest issue happens at night when the photosynthetic organisms go into reverse phase and start taking up oxygen instead of giving it off.

Edit: however it looks like fish are continuing to die after being moved to a higher oxygen environment, that should happen with simple low DO issues….so I can’t rule out Amyloodinium here.

Jay
He turned down the wavemakers as low as they would go, but I can’t imagine O2 dropping that low unless there is a massive bacterial bloom (Dino’s, cyano) or something that was fueled by the lower flow?

This is similar to the guy last week who turned down the flow overnight and dosed extra nitrates and food and lost most of his fish.

OP
OP
S

StarfoxForever

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He turned down the wavemakers as low as they would go, but I can’t imagine O2 dropping that low unless there is a massive bacterial bloom (Dino’s, cyano) or something that was fueled by the lower flow?

This is similar to the guy last week who turned down the flow overnight and dosed extra nitrates and food and lost most of his fish.
This is an interesting take. There doesn’t appear to be any blooms happening in the MT (glass doesn’t have anything on it that it didn’t before, sand is the same color, rocks are the same color, etc.). This is assuming it’s something we’d see with the naked eye. I wonder if low oxygen was an issue we had for a while and just never noticed until we added in the wavemakers and took out the powerheads?

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the picture of the skimmer actually your skimmer working?

That's not working right if it is. Also, don't clean it every 3 days. After a cleaning it takes about a day to get it working at optimal proformace again.

Could be a bacterial bloom with all the cloudy water and no surface agitation.
Poor hippo was gasping for air.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That's not working right if it is. Also, don't clean it every 3 days. After a cleaning it takes about a day to get it working at optimal proformace again.

Ah ya, I saw that too and forgot to mention it.

@StarfoxForever I would disassemble the skimmer and clean/check the pump. Sometimes mine will stop skimming if something gets in the impeller.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If there was oil/scum on the tank surface from food, and the losses happened at night (during reverse phase photosynthesis) I can see this happening. the trouble with low DO/high CO2 is that it is transient, and without a DO meter, you can only guess to if it was happening or not.

Jay

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another perfect storm crash? Stressed fish from QT, possibly still sick. Reduced flow and low O2 along with a poorly operating skimmer and possible oxygen robbing bloom?

A series of interrelated events resulting in catastrophe, not a single catastrophic event.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another perfect storm crash? Stressed fish from QT, possibly still sick. Reduced flow and low O2 along with a poorly operating skimmer and possible oxygen robbing bloom?

A series of interrelated events resulting in catastrophe, not a single catastrophic event.

That's why I hedged my bets and offered up Amyloodinium as a possibility, since the fish didn't seem to recover 100% when removed from the tank.

Jay

OP
OP
S

StarfoxForever

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yes, that’s my skimmer and it’s on. How can you tell it isn’t working? This is my first skimmer, so I have no idea just by looking.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Are the bubbles supposed to be bubbling over the top into the cup, or is this working alright?

Set it to bubble to bottom to middle of the cup part, the lower he bubbles, the "drier" the skim

It is basically skimming too 'wet' right now

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 29.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 27.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 6.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back