All-For-Reef Ca/Alk good MG HIGH?! (1500)

lukestrothman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am dosing 10ml a day of all-for-reef which seems to keep my alk right around 8-8.25 and calc around 450 quite well, for a few months now. However, MG is always 1480-1520 it seems... I should probably validate that with an actual tester and grab a Hanna to compare since I'm basing this on a trident, but curious if I should go another route than All For Reef? Tank is still quite immature, but there are many corals. The days I don't dose, I do see a calcium and alk drop, but MG is consistently around the higher 14's and sometimes creeps past 15.

BanZI29

Still just a reefer noob!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For now, you should be OK. As long as it doesn't get much higher. As long as your corals look happy. do keep an eye on it though.
as for a tester, you should use the Aquaforrest mag tester. that is the one I use and it has been the most accurate of all the ones I have used, including hanna.

OP
OP
L

lukestrothman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For now, you should be OK. As long as it doesn't get much higher. As long as your corals look happy. do keep an eye on it though.
as for a tester, you should use the Aquaforrest mag tester. that is the one I use and it has been the most accurate of all the ones I have used, including hanna.
Appreciate that, thanks.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am dosing 10ml a day of all-for-reef which seems to keep my alk right around 8-8.25 and calc around 450 quite well, for a few months now. However, MG is always 1480-1520 it seems... I should probably validate that with an actual tester and grab a Hanna to compare since I'm basing this on a trident, but curious if I should go another route than All For Reef? Tank is still quite immature, but there are many corals. The days I don't dose, I do see a calcium and alk drop, but MG is consistently around the higher 14's and sometimes creeps past 15.
Unless you're seeing some problem I wouldn't worry about it.

Mg tests are notoriously unreliable and could be off by 150ppm or more anyway

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

AFR contains

43000 ppm calcium,
1900 ppm magnesium

That’s not a particularly excessive amount of magnesium for a typical reef tank. Coralline would use more than that ratio.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back