All For Reef leaving crystallized residue in storage bottle.

Necrodaemus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been re-using my first 1000ml bottle of AFR to store it in after mixing from powder. Today as I was mixing up a new batch, I noticed the inside of the bottle was caked with a brown “crust” that broke apart into brittle flakes. This has developed over time as the bottle has been re-used for nearly a year. Anything to be concerned about or is it normal precipitation?

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will say my newest batch of AFR in the new container without a screw top took a lot longer to mix, there seemed to be a lot more aggregates present.

OP
OP
N

Necrodaemus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I rinse the bottle between uses, but there are normally some precipitants that are washed away.

I believe it is normal and of no concern.
Awesome. I need to start doing that. I was able to loosen it all up by banging the empty bottle on the table and rinsed it all out with RODI.

OP
OP
N

Necrodaemus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will say my newest batch of AFR in the new container without a screw top took a lot longer to mix, there seemed to be a lot more aggregates present.
Oh wow, didn’t know they changed packaging. I still have a jar with the screw on cap

elwallacejr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same here, just mixed my last liter. Thinking about going back to ESV since I always need to add more ALK. Anybody go from AFR to ESV?

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same here, just mixed my last liter. Thinking about going back to ESV since I always need to add more ALK. Anybody go from AFR to ESV?
Then you’re not dosing enough.. up your all for reef dosing till you get the desired alk level you want.. it works great!

elwallacejr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then you’re not dosing enough.. up your all for reef dosing till you get the desired alk level you want.. it works great!
I peg my Calcium at about 425 with AFR and dKH, keeps sliding lower unless I add Alk from another source, currently BRS Sodium Bicarbonate solution.

I understand that this isn't all that uncommon a scenario, just mildly annoying. If it wasn't for my Trident I'd probably have CA+ over 500 since I'd base my dosing on Alk testing with the Hanna Checker.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I peg my Calcium at about 425 with AFR and dKH, keeps sliding lower unless I add Alk from another source, currently BRS Sodium Bicarbonate solution.

I understand that this isn't all that uncommon a scenario, just mildly annoying. If it wasn't for my Trident I'd probably have CA+ over 500 since I'd base my dosing on Alk testing with the Hanna Checker.
That's exactly how it’s made to be used.. calcium up around 500 isn’t bad.. I’d guess your mag is low if it’s that high of ca+. The only supplement I add besides all for reef is magnesium to keep it 1350-1400 when my mag dips my calcium raises.. I dose some mag and my calcium drops back inline around 450

elwallacejr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's exactly how it’s made to be used.. calcium up around 500 isn’t bad.. I’d guess your mag is low if it’s that high of ca+. The only supplement I add besides all for reef is magnesium to keep it 1350-1400 when my mag dips my calcium raises.. I dose some mag and my calcium drops back inline around 450
Roger that, I'll give it a shot. Thanks for the feedback.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.5%
Back