Mixing TM Balling Part B directly with All For Reef

joshbd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I switched from ATI Essential Pro to All for Reef a few month ago. While All for Reef has done a great job keeping my alk steady at around 7.8dkh, my calcium has slowly been climbing from ~420 to now close to 500. I believe I remember reading that @Randy Holmes-Farley suggested AFR wasn't perfectly balanced, and was slightly heavy on the calcium side. So, maybe that's what I'm seeing, or maybe my tank just uses more ALK for whatever reason. In any case, to help correct for this, can I adjust the alk/calcium ratio by mixing a calculated amount of Balling Part B directly with the AFR solution, or would that be a bad idea due to precipitation or other reactions? I would very much prefer not to use another dosing head, since that's a large part of why I switched to AFR in the first place. Thanks!

OP
OP
J

joshbd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Figured as much, thanks! Will likely let it ride then, and as long as it stabilizes south of maybe 550, won't worry about it. Worst case scenario, will switch over to partly dosing just Balling B on a separate head until calcium comes down a bit.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Figured as much, thanks! Will likely let it ride then, and as long as it stabilizes south of maybe 550, won't worry about it. Worst case scenario, will switch over to partly dosing just Balling B on a separate head until calcium comes down a bit.

Sounds like a fine plan. 500 ppm calcium is fine.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 82 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 13 12.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back