All For Reef Weight (g/ml)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Cunning_plan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone happen to know an accurate weight for a ml of all for reef?

I prefer to calibrate my dosing pumps by weighting the sample rather than eyeballing a measuring cylinder. There is obviously a degree of error in this though if the weight is not just 1g / ml like water.

Pod_01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone happen to know an accurate weight for a ml of all for reef?

I prefer to calibrate my dosing pumps by weighting the sample rather than eyeballing a measuring cylinder. There is obviously a degree of error in this though if the weight is not just 1g / ml like water.
That is interesting question, I don’t have an answer but I suspect 1g/ml is close. Saltwater is 1.0252g/ml so you really need some high end scale to get those decimal points.

OP
OP
Cunning_plan

Cunning_plan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is interesting question, I don’t have an answer but I suspect 1g/ml is close. Saltwater is 1.0252g/ml so you really need some high end scale to get those decimal points.
So my doser comes with a set of drug scales (for lack of a better name).

agreed the difference is likely de minimus, just nice to be accurate.

Pod_01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my doser comes with a set of drug scales (for lack of a better name).

agreed the difference is likely de minimus, just nice to be accurate.
So out of curiosity what Doser are you using? My GHL Doser 2.1 accuracy is at 0.1ml.

Perhaps @Hans-Werner can get you the exact scientific weight of 1ml of AFR.

OP
OP
Cunning_plan

Cunning_plan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So out of curiosity what Doser are you using? My GHL Doser 2.1 accuracy is at 0.1ml.

Perhaps @Hans-Werner can get you the exact scientific weight of 1ml of AFR.
So I actually emailed them on this and they measured for me. Apparently it is 1098 g/l (at 24c).

That would put you almost 10% out of you assumed the weight of water and still a way out of you assumed the weight of seawater. Assuming you are dosing a bit, it’s well worth making the correction it would seem.

Pod_01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. I dose based on Alkalinity use, if it drops I increase AFR by 5-10% by volume, if it goes up I decrease AFR by 5-10% by volume and adjust from there. To be honest my mixed AFR might have bit more water vs. the pre mixed AFR. My estimated water volume of my reef tank might be off by 5% (sand, rocks, corals etc..) and the scale I use to measure AFR powder is not that accurate.

What I want to say is use the actual consumption as a guide and make adjustments based on it. Yes I do make number of small doses (20 or so) of AFR over the day just to make sure everything is nice and steady.

OP
OP
Cunning_plan

Cunning_plan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. I dose based on Alkalinity use, if it drops I increase AFR by 5-10% by volume, if it goes up I decrease AFR by 5-10% by volume and adjust from there. To be honest my mixed AFR might have bit more water vs. the pre mixed AFR. My estimated water volume of my reef tank might be off by 5% (sand, rocks, corals etc..) and the scale I use to measure AFR powder is not that accurate.

What I want to say is use the actual consumption as a guide and make adjustments based on it. Yes I do make number of small doses (20 or so) of AFR over the day just to make sure everything is nice and steady.
To be fair, I do the same, I also have a kh keeper with some rules. It’s only because my dosing has pump needs calibrating that I found myself in this rabit hole.

so long as one is consistent, it doesn’t really matter in the end.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 19 35.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 13.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 17 31.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 10 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.9%
Back