All hammers hiding

macdav7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday I noticed all my hammers hiding, while my torch and the rest of my corals were fine. Today I noticed tissue recession, so I tested my params and they were normal. The only thing I could think of is that I added a purple pincushion urchin on Dec. 24. What do I do to save my hammers?
IMG_0278.jpeg

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Provide water chemistry numbers. Also, the kind of lighting you have and if you have any power heads installed.

OP
OP
M

macdav7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Provide water chemistry numbers. Also, the kind of lighting you have and if you have any power heads installed.
Params:
(20 Gal)

Salinity: 1.024
PH: 8.2
Nitrate: 10 ppm
Temp: 79F

Lighting (One AI prime):
I lowered it today
IMG_0279.jpeg

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Params:
(20 Gal)

Salinity: 1.024
PH: 8.2
Nitrate: 10 ppm
Temp: 79F

Lighting (One AI prime):
I lowered it today

Excellent lighting choice!

Hammers do not require a tremendous amount of light and flow to be happy. But it is important to lower the intensity of the lights when adding new coral so that the new additions can acclimate.

Your numbers look good, but check to see that you Alkalinity is around 8dKH.

OP
OP
M

macdav7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, my tank is 9 months old and the hammer frags are about 6 months old. It's a shame bc they were all thriving and growing new heads until yesterday. My heater is very old, every so often it overheats so water was 84F yesterday, but I corrected it so now temp is back at 79. I don't think that would cause such tissue recession. I think it's the new purple pincushion urchin trying to eat them.

OP
OP
M

macdav7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the hammer now. I placed it in a little nursery net while I try to rehome that urchin. It's tissue is now mostly receded but I think it has stabilized. No brown jelly or more white film, and polyps are still there. Can this still recover or is it a goner?
1703998160847.jpeg

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 15 34.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 14.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 14 32.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 7 16.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.3%

Back