All my fish died please help

ryancamaral24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
having trouble I’m about year & half into tho hobby and all my fish died 1 by 1 last couple days all my water is good - all is 10 - cal 460 mag -1200 ! I have 25 nano all in one currently runing activity carbon , fliter floss bio Media - fish have fine for over year definitely some kinda ich or something I saw spots on my fish started dosing polyup labs medic was on day 9 of treatment all my fish died not sure what I should i do don’t wanna restart kill all my corals please help !

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add something recently? Qt process? Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, temp lvls? If you didnt/dont qt and havent added anything recently its possible something in the past brought in ich or some other disease and a stress event happened causing an outbreak.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
having trouble I’m about year & half into tho hobby and all my fish died 1 by 1 last couple days all my water is good - all is 10 - cal 460 mag -1200 ! I have 25 nano all in one currently runing activity carbon , fliter floss bio Media - fish have fine for over year definitely some kinda ich or something I saw spots on my fish started dosing polyup labs medic was on day 9 of treatment all my fish died not sure what I should i do don’t wanna restart kill all my corals please help !

Welcome to Reef2Reef!

It does sound like a fish disease. If the invertebrates are all fine, that confirms it was. Many "reef safe" ich medications do not work. Polyp Lab Medic has a better track record than some, but it still fails to work in some cases. If all of the fish are now dead, the best thing to do is to leave the tank running fishless, with just invertebrates in it for 60 days.

Jay

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and then after that: only add back in fish that you quarantined using the methods from disease forum stickies

and never add a single wet item from a pet store ever again to the tank that did not pass through a separate fallow prep tank in your home. You must reverse the entire order of ops you reefed by in order to not lose the next batch of fish two years from now. We can’t skip disease preps any longer

for example

lets say you do what Jay says above, that starves out the fish disease for that particular malady.

then in November the lfs has a sale where a six hundred dollar torch coral is marked down to forty dollars

you buy it, it doesnt go in your tank, it goes in your clean and sterilized and recently recycled fallow pass through tank in another room of the house for sixty days. Then it’s added to the reef

lets say at the lfs you want a bumblebee snail one day, for three dollars. When you buy it, it doesn’t go into your reef. It goes into the recently cleaned and recycled holding tank in a separate room of your house for sixty days, then it goes in the display. Anything wet from a pet store or someone else’s tank gets this order of ops

when you buy wet things from a pet store to add, buy them in groups so they pass fallow in groups at a time

if you buy things one by one, you’re cleaning out and sterilizing and recycling the holding system over and over for each singular new addition

consider this: you were thinking the recommendation here would be to buy a bottle of something from the pet store, a no-work option

no, a high work option is the only way

must spend two hours reading every help post from the first four pages of the disease forum to not lose the next batch of fish. Study the troubleshooting and remediation recommends for each post, apply those patterns.

OP
OP
R

ryancamaral24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

It does sound like a fish disease. If the invertebrates are all fine, that confirms it was. Many "reef safe" ich medications do not work. Polyp Lab Medic has a better track record than some, but it still fails to work in some cases. If all of the fish are now dead, the best thing to do is to leave the tank running fishless, with just invertebrates in it for 60 days.

Jay
Thought so that why I started doing poly labs treatment I heard good things :/ should i continue my treatment even know my fish died only 10 days left ? Thank again guys yeah it was such small tank & my first tank so I never had quarantine setup jusy being learning the hard way honestly not discouraged yet but I will eventually getting bigger tank make this my quarantine - thanks again bro

OP
OP
R

ryancamaral24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and then after that: only add back in fish that you quarantined using the methods from disease forum stickies

and never add a single wet item from a pet store ever again to the tank that did not pass through a separate fallow prep tank in your home. You must reverse the entire order of ops you reefed by in order to not lose the next batch of fish two years from now. We can’t skip disease preps any longer

for example

lets say you do what Jay says above, that starves out the fish disease for that particular malady.

then in November the lfs has a sale where a six hundred dollar torch coral is marked down to forty dollars

you buy it, it doesnt go in your tank, it goes in your clean and sterilized and recently recycled fallow pass through tank in another room of the house for sixty days. Then it’s added to the reef

lets say at the lfs you want a bumblebee snail one day, for three dollars. When you buy it, it doesn’t go into your reef. It goes into the recently cleaned and recycled holding tank in a separate room of your house for sixty days, then it goes in the display. Anything wet from a pet store or someone else’s tank gets this order of ops

when you buy wet things from a pet store to add, buy them in groups so they pass fallow in groups at a time

if you buy things one by one, you’re cleaning out and sterilizing and recycling the holding system over and over for each singular new addition

consider this: you were thinking the recommendation here would be to buy a bottle of something from the pet store, a no-work option

no, a high work option is the only way

must spend two hours reading every help post from the first four pages of the disease forum to not lose the next batch of fish. Study the troubleshooting and remediation recommends for each post, apply those patterns.
Yeah such small setup areas didn’t have any where to properly quarantine just hoping & praying honestly being very careful what I put in ! Got sloppy along the way I will eventually get bigger tank make this quarantine system after I dial this one up

OP
OP
R

ryancamaral24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add something recently? Qt process? Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, temp lvls? If you didnt/dont qt and havent added anything recently its possible something in the past brought in ich or some other disease and a stress event happened causing an outbreak.
A new torch ! I knew those cockroaches were dirty dang it my poor fishy’s such small tank I didn’t have space for proper quarantine system were from local fish store I don’t believe the quarantine I had them for while but I will eventually up grade make this my quarantine tang or frag tank thanks again

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought so that why I started doing poly labs treatment I heard good things :/ should i continue my treatment even know my fish died only 10 days left ? Thank again guys yeah it was such small tank & my first tank so I never had quarantine setup jusy being learning the hard way honestly not discouraged yet but I will eventually getting bigger tank make this my quarantine - thanks again bro
I would discontinue the polyp lab medic and just have the tank lay fallow for 60+ days.
Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back